Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Getting Started with Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all.  

I am new to Altera and Quartus, however I do have experience with FPGAs. 

I am using a brand new just out of the box Arria V dev kit. I followed the instruction packet to install the dev kit software and Quartus II software. when I start up Quartus II, I am prompted by a window that reads "you installed Quartus II software but did not install any devices". I am then prompted to specify the directory in which Quartus II device files (.qdz) are located.  

I have searched my entire machine for a .qdz with no luck. I have also uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything in the manual with no luck. 

My question is, does anyone know where I can find a how-to video on getting started with Quartus? 

Any help is much appreciated!  

JT
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go to the downloads page of the Altera web site where you got Quartus. Click the individual files tab. Select the Arria V device support file. Right under the tabs is a link to the quick start guide with instructions on installing device support (it isn't hard).  

Just in case, remember that the Arria V isn't supported in the free version of Quartus. You will need to buy the paid version to generate FPGA images for an Arria V. Some dev kits come with a certificate for a device locked version of the paid software. Check for that first.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Quartus has grown to the point that they have split the devices out, since it's now larger than a single layer DVD. 

So there is either another DVD you need to install in the kit, or you need to download it from the Altera website for your version of quartus. 

https://www.altera.com/downloads/download-center.html 

at the bottom of the page, click on the version of Quartus you installed, then you can look the correct version of the device files. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the latest Quartus II version installation would consume quite significant disk space. Normally I would choose only the specific device's database to install instead of installing all devices to save space.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! I downloaded the whole suit so not sure why I wasnt able to find the device, but non the less was able to find thanks to your help. 

Cheers!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad to hear that you have manage to get it working.

0 Kudos