Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Instantiate System Verilog into a VHDL Testbench

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good Evening, 

I am currently working on a project for school where we taking the original concepts we learned in VHDL and applying them to build the same components with System Verilog. I already have a testbench in VHDL and was wondering if there was a way to instantiate the System Verilog code to be able to utilize the already existing testbench or would it be easier to just rewrite the testbench in System Verilog? 

Thank you, 

-Joe
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The answer depends on your simulator features; Modelsim-ASE is a single-language simulator, so it can only simulate VHDL or SystemVerilog, not both at the same time. Modelsim-SE is a mixed-language simulator. 

If you are using Modelsim-SE, then I would recommend re-using your testbench until your SystemVerilog device-under-test works. I would then recommend re-coding the testbench using SystemVerilog, so that you get an idea how to code a SystemVerilog testbench. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To instantiate SV in VHDL, you need to declare a component in the VHDL that matches the SV module, so that the module can be maped to your VHDL Component.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

To instantiate SV in VHDL, you need to declare a component in the VHDL that matches the SV module, so that the module can be maped to your VHDL Component. 

--- Quote End ---  

Aw, Tricky, you just spoiled several hours of frustration for Joe ... 

(i.e., good recommendation) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Aw, Tricky, you just spoiled several hours of frustration for Joe ... 

(i.e., good recommendation) 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

The problem is, how this works is never really explained anywhere.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The answer depends on your simulator features; Modelsim-ASE is a single-language simulator, so it can only simulate VHDL or SystemVerilog, not both at the same time. 

--- Quote End ---  

Dave, 

this link seems to indicate that modelsim- altera starter edition is mixed-language ...? (https://www.altera.com/products/design-software/model---simulation/modelsim-altera-software.html) : 

starting with quartus software v15.0, the modelsim-altera edition software supports dual-language simulation. this includes designs that are written in a combination of verilog, system verilog, and vhdl languages, also known as mixed hdl. 

Regards, 

Josy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Josy, 

Thanks for that reference, I didn't know that Altera had changed the tool to support both languages ... I guess they got sick of trying to figure out how to simulate their new SystemVerilog IP with VHDL in a single-language simulator and this was the easiest way to solve that problem! :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos