Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

MAX10 Internal Configuration Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everybody, 

I'm actually working with the new MAX 10M02SCE144C8GES and I have problem with the internal configuration which doesn't work. The FPGA works good when I program it with the .sof file but when I use the .pof (For the internal flash), the programmation is successful but the FPGA was not reconfigured after the end of the programmation or when I restart the board. When FPGA are not configured, I observe a little over consumption on 3V3 which let me think FPGA try to reconfigure itself in a loop. I'm using the quartus II 64 bit 15.0 Web Edition. I have rechecked every configuration pins and power, all seems to be OK. 

If somebody have any information for me, it will be very helpfull 

Chiron
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am facing similar issue with cyclone IV chip. Are you using a custom board? have you tried .JIC file?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Danish, 

Yes I'm using a custom board. And I haven't tried .JIC file, I'm only using the quartus programmer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Danish, 

Yes I'm using a custom board. And I haven't tried .JIC file, I'm only using the quartus programmer. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have just checked the datasheet of MAX10, it actually has a built-in configuration memory and doesn't support JIC :) I think this might be an issue of POR delay in your case, try using standard POR instead of FAST in convert programming file (if not doing already) and also check configuration mode.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your answer. I already test the three configuration of POR delay (Instant ON, FAST POR and SLOW POR) and have the same result. What did you mean about configuration mode. With this version of MAX10 (10M02SCE144C8GES), I have already access to Internal configuration in Compress and Uncompress Image.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is this a custom board? Have you followed the pin connection guidelines (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/dp/max-10/pcg-01018.pdf)? Are you terminating all unused pins as recommended? 

Although I've not come across this particular issue, I frequently to check that all the power pins are powered. Any that aren't may possibly be responsible for powering the configuration circuitry. The fact you appear to be able to program the internal FLASH suggests it is powered correctly. Is 'VCC_ONE' powered appropriately and cleanly? 

You suggest that programming the .pof appears to work. Can I assume you followed the process described in the 'configuring max 10 devices using internal configuration' section (page 3-4) of the max 10 fpga configuration user guide (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_config.pdf)? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am running a custom board and have the exact same problem with an ES 10M08 with single A/D and flash options. SOF program works POF does not, tried every config option updated Quartus etc.  

Solution was conf_done was not pulled high with an external weak pull up (10K) 

See pg 4 of the pin connection guideline under the conf_done section which reads  

"After all configuration data is received without error and the initialization cycle starts, the CONF_DONE pin is released." 

It is my assumption without a pull up the device itself dosn't recognize config is complete. This can be seen as all pins are stuck in the programming mode HighZ/week pull up/down whatever is selected and never drop to user mode configs. 

While pulling up only the conf_done pin worked, I believe a good recommendation would be to pull up conf_sel, n_status, conf_done and n_config
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would suggest to monitor the nconfig, nstatus and conf_done signal status. All these need signals need to ne high to ensure the configuration is successful. Make sure the to use the correct pull up resistor value as recommend in the MAX10 handbook.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a similar problem with a10M50DAF256C8G. I have my logic and ADC 1 working ONLY with the .SOF, the ADC will not work using .POF but all other logic works fine. 

I have check all kinds of things on my board. 

ALSO, I have a BeMicro demo board that works fine with the .pof and .sof, I copied the power arragnement from that. 

YUCK>>>>>
0 Kudos