Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

design simulation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello 

i've done a design using quartus 17.1 pro. but i coudn't simulate this design. i tried to convert it to a VHDL script but i dindn't know how 

how can i simulate it or convert it
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.Attache the ERROR message/Log file. 

2.Which IP's are used in the design? 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which si ulator are you using and how do you start it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi i don't have an error message my design compiles correctly

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for simulator i use VWF file or i want to convert my design to vhdl code to use modelsim but i couldn't

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Are you able to simulate the design using VWF? what problem are you facing elaborate more. 

For design are you using QSYS or Mega-wizard or simple design without any IP's? 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no i can't simulate using vwf and it isn't simple design it contains ip's like pll .transceiver ..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a few more questions, please elaborate on your problem: You say you can't simulate, how do you know, does your simulator (which?) not start, does the program start but won't run simulation? How do you start your simulator program? From Quartus? If so, can you see any errors in Quartus? Where I don't mean compile errors but errors regarding the start of the simulator you use. If not how do you start it? 

[edit] I assume you have the correct libraries to run pll sim?[/edit]
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my problem is i don't know how i simulate it. i've tried with VWF file i put all my variables but when i launch the simulation an error message appears "ModelSim executable not found."

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I remember having to point Quartus to where my simulator (Modelsim) was installed. Check under Tools->Options->General->EDA Tool Options the path to your simulator. In my case (for ModelSim-Altera): I have next to Modelsim-Altera the path c:\intelFPGA_lite\16.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem. If this is not set Quartus does not know which program to start to run your simulation.  

I use custom scripts to compile and run my testbenches, so I cannot help you with other flows.
0 Kudos