Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Altera Cyclone 2 PLL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been trying for a while to work with the Cyclone 2's PLL.  

In general I want to produce a signal of 100Mhz output with a 25Mhz clk input.  

And see if my radio detects it.  

In the photos below I've created a clk divider that produce 25Mhz clk and linked it to the pll block 

But I can't see the results in the waveform  

You can also see in the photos the Programe I used inside the quartus to create the PLL 

Maybe I've been Used it wrong  

Please halp with this problem.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can't drive the PLL's input clock from the divided clock. Quartus will give you an error allong the lines of "inclk[0] must be driven by a non-inverted input clock pin". So, what you're trying isn't going to work. 

You need to drive the PLL directly from your clock input pin and adjust the PLL's ratios accordingly. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am not sure if the clock divider will mess up the PLL refclk. Generally we will directly connect the PLL refclk to dedicated clock input pin. What is your input clock frequency?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You mean that I need to sign 50Mhz directly to the input port?  

And not with an output of another block?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. 50MHz straight into the PLL. Quartus won't let you drive the PLL from 'another block' in the way you're trying. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And what about the pll configuration with the pll's interface Programe (you can see in the photo)  

Can you walk me through?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Set the frequency of your 'inclk' to 50MHz. Then, under the 'Output Clock' tab, set the frequency of your output clock(s). Then click 'Finish'. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos