Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Quartus Licensing Ubuntu Xubuntu 15.10

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just an FYI that Ubuntu/Xubuntu's move to Predictable Network Interface Names (PNIN) breaks Quartus node-locked licensing. If you have a Quartus license that is node-locked to a particular NIC MAC address, that NIC must be "eth0". The move to PNIN caused my network device to be renamed. 

There are tons of examples of how to fix it, but none of them worked un-edited for me. The solution that ended up working on Xubuntu 15.10 for me was to create a udev rule that renames the network iface "eth0". 

In /etc/udev/rules.d create a file called 99-old-style-net.rules containing: 

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="XXX", ATTR{address}=="YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY", NAME="eth0" where XXX is the name of your NIC and YY is the MAC address of your NIC. You can get that info by running ip addressYou don't want the info from lo, but the other device. 

My /etc/udev/rules.d/99-old-style-net.rules ended up being: 

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="eno1", ATTR{address}=="e8:39:35:YY:YY:YY", NAME="eth0" Note, that if you google you will discover people advocating grub options or systemd links files to fix this problem, but none of those methods worked for me. 

Hope this helps someone.
0 Kudos
0 Replies