Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

SignalTap does not show all signals

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SignalTap seems to not show all internal signals within my module. I have to sometimes write an output port in order to view them. Is there a way to force showing internal signals that are there but not showing up when trying to add nodes? 

I tried both post-fitting and pre-synthesis filters and ensured I looked in the correct "Look in" location (both in toplevel and the specific module).
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks ted for the reply!! 

Wow, didn't think it was that simple. I guess the compiler removes the nodes that are redundant during its optimization process. 

Keep: 

--- Quote Start ---  

You cannot use this synthesis attribute for nodes that have no fan-out. 

To use the keep synthesis attribute, you can specify the keep synthesis attribute in a comment that is on the same line as the combinational node you want Analysis & Synthesis to keep. In the comment, precede the synthesis attribute with the synthesis keyword. 

For example, in the following code, the comment /* synthesis keep */ directs Analysis & Synthesis to not minimize the keep_wire combinational node: 

wire keep_wire /* synthesis keep */; 

--- Quote End ---  

Preserve: 

--- Quote Start ---  

There are two important limitations of the preserve synthesis attribute: 

It prevents a register from being inferred as a state machine. 

It does not preserve fanout-free registers. Use the noprune synthesis attribute to prevent Analysis & Synthesis from removing fanout-free registers. 

You can use Verilog 2001 attribute syntax to preserve a register, as shown in the following code: 

(*preserve*) reg reg1; 

You can also embed the attribute in a block comment that follows the variable declaration for the register you wish to preserve. You can also set the attribute on a module, which directs Analysis & Synthesis to preserve all registers in the module, except for those registers that infer state machines. 

For example, in the following code, the comment /* synthesis preserve */ directs Analysis & Synthesis to preserve the reg1 register: 

reg reg1 /* synthesis preserve */; 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos