Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

How to use LVDS pins on CycloneIV bank8 for receive?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to configure LVDS receive pins on bank8 of cycloneIV. It is dedicate to LVDS receive but not LVDS TX. I saw on handbook said on bank8 the LVDS do not support true LVDS for tx and need to addtinonal resistors externally. How about LVDS receive of bank8? Is a 120ohm resistor in between of diffio_p and diffio_n able to implement LVDS recevie on bank8? 

Dose it mean on all banks of cycloneIV, the LVDS receive just need such a 120om resistor no matter true LVDS or not?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Yes for RX you need only termination resitor and handbook states that it should be 100ohm.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Another I am not quite sure : Are all the LVDS pairs bidirectional? For example, DIFFIO_T8p and DIFFIO_T8n pair is able to be configured as both LVDS rx and LVDS tx(emulate LVDS). Becasue of it is DIFF'IO'. 

Is my understanding correct?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's correct - for Cyclone IV. Newer families - including Cyclone V - have dedicated Tx & Rx pairs. So, that wouldn't be the case. 

If in doubt, try it. Run it through Quartus with the pin assignments you want. Quartus will tell you if it's invalid. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos