FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

FFT MegaCore 13.0 Generation Stuck

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I was trying to generate a 1024 point Variable Streaming bi-directional FFT IP Core using the FFT MegaCore Function. After click "Step 3 Generate", it will hang in there forever. It shows that the function stuck at "Generating MegaCore function top-level". The screen shot is attached for your reference. A temp folder has been created named "iptb_fft_temp4719569924717944842", which contains some .v files and .hex files as well as some ".m" files. Do you guys have any idea what causes this stuck? I have tried more than 20 times, and only successfully generate the .qip file once. Any inputs are welcome. 

Thanks 

-Roger
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Roger, I've noticed this too - what seems to be happening is that Quartus_map hangs when creating the model for 3rd party synthesis - so what you can do to work around this is open up task manager go to processes and kill quartus_map. That will let it complete for you. Not great, better than nothing!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the tips. I have tried the trick, it makes the process proceed to "Generating Verilog HDL IP functional simulation model", but still stuck at this stage forever. Then, I tried the same trick, but it failed the how process. I do need to generate the Simulation model, which cannot be bypassed by killing the quartus_map. Is there any other tricks to play with? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Roger, I've noticed this too - what seems to be happening is that Quartus_map hangs when creating the model for 3rd party synthesis - so what you can do to work around this is open up task manager go to processes and kill quartus_map. That will let it complete for you. Not great, better than nothing! 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Which quartus version and OS are using? Once I had similar issue with WIN8.1 and some older Quartus version. I have solved issue by updating to latest Quartus version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was using Win 7 Pro, and Quartus 13.0 sp1. I also tried Quartus 10.0, similar problem.  

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi,  

Which quartus version and OS are using? Once I had similar issue with WIN8.1 and some older Quartus version. I have solved issue by updating to latest Quartus version. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Roger, 

I believe have seen this before and I solved it with the same trick jrose wrote. However, you need to wait until a certain step, which might take some time and then kill the process. Then everything was created and it worked. Otherwise, you might want to upgrade to a later release than 13.0 sp1. 

Cheers, 

fade
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi jrose,  

Do you know if the trick applies on win 10? Because in win10's task manager, under process, I didn't find any process named quartus_map, so do you have any idea? Thank you very much!
0 Kudos