Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

New to FPGA programming - Please Help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am new to both this forum and FPGA with OpenCL - I have some questions I hope someone can help me with. 

I have intelFPGA_pro v 16.1 installed in Ubuntu Linux OS and am just trying to test out the system by running the 'aocl diagnose' operation. However, when I run it I get the following output: 

"cannot find board_env.xml in /board/nalla_pcie" 

I checked in /hdl/board/nalla_pcie and 'board_env.xml' is located in this directory. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? I am looking forward to getting some interesting work done :) 

Thank you in advance for any help/hints.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your environmental variables should look like this: 

export ALTERAOCLSDKROOT="*quartus_install_folder*/hld" export AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT="$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/board/nalla_pcie" 

Since aoc is looking for the BSP in "/board/nalla_pcie", it means "ALTERAOCLSDKROOT" is not pointing to anything and hence, AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT is pointing to "/board/nalla_pcie".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Your environmental variables should look like this: 

export ALTERAOCLSDKROOT="*quartus_install_folder*/hld" export AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT="$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/board/nalla_pcie" 

Since aoc is looking for the BSP in "/board/nalla_pcie", it means "ALTERAOCLSDKROOT" is not pointing to anything and hence, AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT is pointing to "/board/nalla_pcie". 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you, for replying HRZ. I made the changes you suggested and 'aocl diagnose' executes further however it now has another issue :cry: - probably related to the same issue as the original issue. 

When I execute 'aocl diagnose' now I get the following output:  

"aocl diagnose: Error while loading shared libraries: libnalla_pcie_mmd.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory" 

I checked and the libnalla_pcie_mmd.so library exists in /board/nalla_pcie/linux64/lib. Is there another environment variable that I need to set such that 'aocl' will be able to properly locate this library? 

Thank you again for your response and help.:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should add the path to that library to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Check section 3.3 of this document (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf). That document is very important. I suggest reading and following it step by step.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You should add the path to that library to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Check section 3.3 of this document (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf). That document is very important. I suggest reading and following it step by step. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you again for the help. 

I will give it a try :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi HRZ, 

Thank you everything works with regards to all my paths :)  

However now when I run diagnose I get a completely different error - it fails. Do you have any suggestions? I copy and paste the output from running diagnose below. 

aocl diagnose aclnalla_pcie0 

aocl diagnose: Running diagnose from /usr2/intelFPGA_pro/16.1/hld/board/nalla_pcie/linux64/libexec 

Board package name :nalla_pcie 

Using dev_num = 0 

Using platform: Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) 

Failed clGetDeviceIDs. 

Error code: -1 

aocl diagnose: failed. 

Thank you again for all your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nallatech has a document named "Nallatech OpenCL A10 BSP Getting Started Guide". You can get the document from their support section. You should read and follow that document to update the FPGA image via PCI-E to enable the PCI-E core, and install the driver. Note that Nallatech does not officially support Ubuntu and the driver will very likely not work on that OS. Nallatech recommends using CentOS v6. Kernel compilation will likely work on Ubuntu, though.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

The Nallatech Support Lounge documents that the latest Arria 10 BSP to date, i.e. R001.005.0002 for Quartus Prime Pro / OpeNCL SDK 17.0.0, supports the following OS: 

Compilation: 64-bit RedHat/CentOS 6.x/7.x & 64-bit Windows 7 

Runtime: 64-bit RedHat/CentOS 6.x/7.x 

There is no support for Ubuntu at this time. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi 

The Nallatech Support Lounge documents that the latest Arria 10 BSP to date, i.e. R001.005.0002 for Quartus Prime Pro / OpeNCL SDK 17.0.0, supports the following OS: 

Compilation: 64-bit RedHat/CentOS 6.x/7.x & 64-bit Windows 7 

Runtime: 64-bit RedHat/CentOS 6.x/7.x 

There is no support for Ubuntu at this time. 

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Good information to know :) 

Thank you.
0 Kudos