Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Cannot generate cof file - Quartus Prime Lite V17 (595)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My project compiles correctly but does not output a .cof file which I need to generate a .jic file for downloading. 

I looked into the licensing section and found that it has the lattice license file tagged but I cannot seem to be able to delete the entry in Quartus. Perhaps this is the problem. 

Also, about a week ago I was seeing messages saying the license will expire in December. But I am using the free lite version for a Cyclone IV device. 

Any ideas? (please don't suggest a new download/install as I have used this months download quota)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A .cof file is just a way of saving your settings when doing a file conversion. It's not something that's ever generated automatically. It's just for convenience when you do the same type of file conversions repeatedly. It's not tied to licensing. 

To create a .jic file, go into the file conversions dialog and set it up for your conversion. Once you have it set up, you can save a .cof file so you don't have to set it up again. 

As far as the licensing is concerned, are you saying you are getting messages that Quartus licensing will end in December? As you say, licensing is not required for the Lite edition. Are you perhaps using some licensed IP?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

A .cof file is just a way of saving your settings when doing a file conversion. It's not something that's ever generated automatically. It's just for convenience when you do the same type of file conversions repeatedly. It's not tied to licensing. 

To create a .jic file, go into the file conversions dialog and set it up for your conversion. Once you have it set up, you can save a .cof file so you don't have to set it up again. 

As far as the licensing is concerned, are you saying you are getting messages that Quartus licensing will end in December? As you say, licensing is not required for the Lite edition. Are you perhaps using some licensed IP? 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the reply.  

I found that if I copied the .cof file from an earlier version of the project, then it would generate the .jic file correctly. 

For the licensing, I have the unlicensed lite version of Quartus. However I noticed that somehow Quartus has detected the Lattice license file on my pc. I did receive a few messages saying that Quartus license is expiring in December. IIRC I ticked dont remind me anymore so I am not seeing the message anymore. I expect v18 will be available around then so I am not worried at this time.
0 Kudos