Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE for RTL simulation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Im running quartus lite 17.1.0 on ubuntu 17.04. When I try to run RTL simulation I get an error output about LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE. The path to /modelsim_ase/linuxaloem is set correct. 

It looks like several users have the same problem, but no solution. 

What can I do, to continue my project?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

1.Is ModelSim-Altera Licensed ? 

2.Recheck the License path and Environment variable. 

3.Or try with Modelsim Altera starter edition which is free. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you install the tools under Linux, you need to specify the License file location . This is done by specifying the following variables: 

LM_LICENSE_FILE --> path to license file for all tools which use FLEXLM licensing  

MGLS_LICENSE_FILE --> specific license variable for Mentor Graphics tools 

You will need to edit the .bashrc or .cshrc file in your login and add the following variables there 

export LM_LICENSE_FILE = <path to your license.dat file> 

export MGLS_LICENSE_FILE = <path to your license.dat file> 

export PATH = $PATH:<path to modelsim executable>:<path to quartus tool executable> 

Save and close the .bashrc/.cshrc file. Start a new terminal and you can invoke the tools .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I installed Quartus 13.1 Free Edition and the Modelsim-Altera works fine in Windows 10. In Ubuntu however, the application cannot find the license file and I need to point to it as you said. According to this guide: http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/fa10/cse140l/lab/docs/quartus_install.pdf The license.dat file should be somewhere in the root folder but I can't find it there too. Any idea where the license.dat file could be located in a Linux installation? I have tried performing "ls --recursive | grep license.dat" in the quartus installation folder to no avail too.

0 Kudos