Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Defining a code section besides ".text" section

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am working with a design that includes: 

- Nios II processor version "e" 

- On chip memory dedicated for data and instructions 

I used the SBT to write a function in assembly langage. This function is called in main: 

void function() __attribute__((section(".function"))); 

int main() 

alt_printf("Hello function\n\r"); 

function(); 

return 0; 

Actually, I added to the linker file a section ".function" that will contain the code of the function. I have defined it after the ".text" section. 

.text : 

} > memory = 0x3a880100 /* NOP instruction (always in big-endian byte ordering) */ 

.function : AT ( LOADADDR (.text) + SIZEOF (.text) ) 

PROVIDE (function_mem_start = ABSOLUTE(.)); *(.function) 

. = ALIGN(4); 

PROVIDE (function_mem_end = ABSOLUTE(.)); 

} > memory 

The problem is that when I execute my code, it never runs the "function()" code. Each time the nios reaches "function", it restarts the execution of the program from the beginning. Hence, I get an infinite "Hello function" printed in the console. However when I delete "__attribute__((section(".function")))" from the main program, the program is executed correctly and my function code is saved in the ".text" section. 

My question is, why I can't execute a program from a section other than ".text" and what should I do to make it possible? 

Thank you,
0 Kudos
0 Replies