Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Error loading shared libraries when setting up a float license

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello friends, 

Thanks for opening this post. 

Currently, I have an issue with setting up our floating license for Quartus PRIME Pro (a license .dat file also bundles with some other licenses apart from Prime Pro).  

I have been mostly following Section Set Up A License in a Network License Server of this link (https://www.altera.com/documentation/esc1425946071433.html#mwh1410890924321) after I downloaded the Linux version of FLEXlm from the Download Center and installed on our license server. 

Now license file is in place and everything goes well, until I do `./lmgrd -c license.dat`, and it complains about `alterad: error while loading shared libraries: libSafeString.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory`.  

After a bit of googling, I think it's because daemon alterad is expecting some libraries from Quartus directory. However, my understanding is, license server is not supposed to install Quartus software, only the client machines do. So I am a bit confused about why alterad is looking for these libraries, and what should I do next to resolve this. Note that I do have some experience with setting up other EDA vendors' network licenses for our company (such as Mentor and Xilinx). 

Log file also attached for your information. 

It would be great if you could help me here. Any comments would be appreciated.  

Best regards, 

Taihai
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Is there anyone could help me on this? Many thanks in advance. 

Best regards, 

Taihai
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I ran into this issue today although I'm running the tools and license server from the same machine. I just updated my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the missing library. You could try copying the missing library across to your license server? 

"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/eda/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/quartus/linux64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From the licensing log I see that the lmgrd tries to start the daemon twice at first, one with port 27008 which it was able to do so and then a second time with port 27009. This is where it failed. I guess your license file may have 2 SERVER lines. You need to comment out the 2nd one and use only one SERVER line and then try starting the license server. Use# to comment , be careful while editing, and extra spaces/characters will invalidate the license.  

do a 'ps -ef | grep lmgrd' and 'ps -ef | grep alterad' to find out if these processes are still running. If so, the server is still running. You need to shutdown the server before attempting to restart it. 

issue the following command: 

lmutil lmdown -q -c <path to license file.> 

or try  

lmdown -c <path to license file> 

wait for some a few minutes after the server is shut down to release the ports. then start the license server again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I ran into this issue today although I'm running the tools and license server from the same machine. I just updated my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the missing library. You could try copying the missing library across to your license server? 

"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/eda/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/quartus/linux64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Sjalloq, 

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Your approach makes sense to me. For that, I have installed Quartus PRIME Pro 17.1 (it does contain folder /quartus/linux64 and various .so files) and set up the PATH accordingly. However, the specific file alterad is looking for is libSafeString.so and it is not in that folder. I wonder whether you can help me see whether you have that file in your folder, given that yours is 18.0? 

Best regards, 

Taihai
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From the licensing log I see that the lmgrd tries to start the daemon twice at first, one with port 27008 which it was able to do so and then a second time with port 27009. This is where it failed. I guess your license file may have 2 SERVER lines. You need to comment out the 2nd one and use only one SERVER line and then try starting the license server. Use# to comment , be careful while editing, and extra spaces/characters will invalidate the license.  

do a 'ps -ef | grep lmgrd' and 'ps -ef | grep alterad' to find out if these processes are still running. If so, the server is still running. You need to shutdown the server before attempting to restart it. 

issue the following command: 

lmutil lmdown -q -c <path to license file.> 

or try  

lmdown -c <path to license file> 

wait for some a few minutes after the server is shut down to release the ports. then start the license server again. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi espenabrm, 

This has now been fixed and thank you very much for your suggestion. 

However, I wonder whether you can answer my question that I raised to Sjalloq, which is that whether libSafeString.so exists in this folder /eda/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/quartus/linux64? 

Best regards, 

Taihai
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello Sjalloq, 

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Your approach makes sense to me. For that, I have installed Quartus PRIME Pro 17.1 (it does contain folder /quartus/linux64 and various .so files) and set up the PATH accordingly. However, the specific file alterad is looking for is libSafeString.so and it is not in that folder. I wonder whether you can help me see whether you have that file in your folder, given that yours is 18.0? 

Best regards, 

Taihai 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Sjalloq, 

I downloaded and installed 18.0 and can confirm libSafeString.so is in linux64 folder. I think it's because the latest alterad requires such relevant .so files (although 17.1 does have a few but not this particular one). 

The orignal problem has now been resolved, and thanks again for your help 

Best regards, 

Taihai
0 Kudos