Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20645 Discussions

Programming file for EPCQ128A flash with Cyclone III FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone tried generating a programming file (.jic) for the EPCQ128A flash memory for a Quartus project that was originally using the EPCS128 flash memory with Cyclone III FPGA? We are using Quartus 13 which doesn't have the EPCQ128A option so we generate the programming file for EPCQ128. However when using JTAG programmer there is an error "Can't recognize Silicon ID for Device 1". The .jic file generated for EPCQ128 however downloads to the EPCS128 flash without issues. We have eliminated the setup as the issue. As part of the troubleshooting, we also disabled the device ID check when generating the programming file. We repeated this exercise for the EPCS64 to EPCQ64A flash and there were no issues with generating the programming file for EPCQ64 and then downloading to the EPCQ64A flash.  

Any thoughts on why the EPCQ128A is behaving differently?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

As far as I know, there will be a patch available for Quartus 13.1.4 that supports EPCQA devices.  

I'm not sure on the release date, do stay tuned for it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I have a board with an EPCQ64 on and we have just moved to the EPCQ64A device, i cant get the new A version of the Mem chip to boot the FPGA 

I was sing Quartus 16.1 with an Ethernet blaster Original 

I have followed AN822 from intel regarding converting the SOF to a POF with "Disable EPCS \ EPCQ ID chech" de selected, this generated the file but once on the EPCQ64A did not boot the FPGA a cyclone 5. 

I have also tries installing quartus 17.1 and repeating the process but still no t working. 

Any help would be greatly appriciated as i have a stack of PCBs i cant use with the EPCQ64A device on. 

Thanks 

John
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi John, 

Have you recompile your design with EPCQA selected instead of EPCQ? You're supposed to select EPCQA in Serial Flash Controller, and also during JIC file generation. If you're programming the EPCQA with EPCQ programming file it might not work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi John, 

Have you recompile your design with EPCQA selected instead of EPCQ? You're supposed to select EPCQA in Serial Flash Controller, and also during JIC file generation. If you're programming the EPCQA with EPCQ programming file it might not work. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks aaronchng i will look into it and report results
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I was wondering if the previous suggestion worked? I am having a similar issue. We also just switched from EPCQ64 to EPCQ64A and did file conversion using old SOF, and it also generated but would not load CylcloneIV. I was using Quartus 15.0 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi i had to update to Quartus 17 that had support for the xxxA devices, once they were built for the new device it all worked as expected, the conversion using Quartus 16 did produce a file but it didnt work. Good luck

0 Kudos