Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Micron configuration flash replacement

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been using the Micron N25Q as an EPCS and the M25P as an EPCQ. Specifically the 128MBit 16 pin SOIC one.  

I'd like to make a new run of my boards and discovered the 'known compatible' Micron parts have been discontinued.  

I see that Intel saw this and seem to have added support for a new type EPCQA (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf). It looks like the W25Q works as an EPCQA (https://alteraforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-56762.html).  

However I'm keen not to change the type (from EPCS) so I don't have to say: using this jic for revision 1 and this jic for revision 2! 

I checked the datasheet for the commands in an822 and I think the following should work, though It seems I might have to ignore device id. I don't want to do that! Does anyone know if the Cylone V serial flash loader supports these ones over active serial in the latest Quartus? Or has anyone had success with another one? 

ISSI: IS25LP128-JMLE 

Macronix: MX25L12835FMI-10G 

Cypress: S25FL128P0XMFI003
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

we cannot guarantee if using non-Altera (Intel PSG) flash devices such as Micron or Spansion or Cypress or Windbond will work successfully with our software tools and FPGA devices or not. For Active Serial configuration mode, we only support EPCS, EPCQ, EPCQA and EPCQL device flash memory. Thus you need to use EPCS, EPCQ, EPCQA or EPCQL flash memory devices for Active Serial configuration scheme on Altera (Intel PSG) FPGA devices. We have never mentioned promoting Micron or Spansion or Cypress or Windbond device officially support for Active Serial configuration scheme on Altera (Intel PSG) FPGA. We do not perform any testing or validation on these devices for Active Serial configuration mode. Thank you. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I appreciate the clarification from Intel. 

In my view the Intel strategy needs some refinement here. For your cheap lines of fpga chips the official flash chips are a very significant part of the BOM. The economics do not work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I appreciate the clarification from Intel. 

In my view the Intel strategy needs some refinement here. For your cheap lines of fpga chips the official flash chips are a very significant part of the BOM. The economics do not work. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

We recently used the following parts from Winbond and they work both the 64Mb (8 pin soic) and 128Mb (soic16). Enclosed is the part number for the 8 pin part (64Mb). We are using Quartus 16.1 

w25q64jvzeiq (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/winbond-electronics/w25q64jvzeiq/w25q64jvzeiq-nd/5803997

Thanks
0 Kudos