Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Max 10, how to "connect" to my on-chip-memory? which controller to use.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, I'm new in the fpga business, I have Max 10 for now. 

I'm trying to understant how can I connect to my memory ,I know that I have only 64MB sdram. 

Now, I read a lot online, in the ip catalog I saw sram controller and ssram controller , online I saw using of altsyncram exc,and Im lost, how do I know which one to use?  

Thanks, a lot for your help, 

Barak.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If you're looking to access the SDRAM on the FPGA board, then you need to use the SDRAM/DDR controller IPs that come in Quartus that are targeted for that specific FPGA and memory chip aka Micron, etc. Make sure to choose the right type of memory controller - SDRAM or DDR or DDR2 and while configuring the controller, you need to choose the correct memory part type (DIMM/SODIMM/component), manufacturer (Micron/etc), part number and timing parameters. Once you have configured the memory controller core, you can generate and insert it into your project, connect it to the required interface aka Processor, etc, and generate your design.  

If you're looking to access the on-chip RAM, then you need to use the on-chip RAM controller and configure it for the memory type (BRAM/DRAM), size and other parameters.  

-Abr
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right I confused between on-chip memory and sdram. 

In my QUARTUS2 in the ip catalog i have ssram and sram controllers (and ufm) but not sdram controller. 

further more, I cant find out which sdram I got, in all data sheets for my fpga (de10-lite terasic) I sees only 64MB sdram,in the max10 datasheets I see ddr3, ddr2 but I dont know what I got . 

my fpga num is :10M50DAF484C7G 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

The DE10-lite board uses the ISSI 64MB SDRAM chip (32Mx16). You could download the SystemCD and tools from the terasic webiste (www.terasic.com (http://www.terasic.com)) 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=234&no=1021&partno=4 

http://download.terasic.com/downloads/cd-rom/de10-lite/ 

I've included the device datasheet in this post. You could check it out. I suggest you use the terasic utility tool to start and design projects using the peripherals and devices on the DE10 lite board.  

The FPGA also has internal memory ~1648Mbits , you could use this also for small memory footprint designs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, but I had this datasheet, and still couldnt find which kind of sdram is it? and again in my quartus I have only ssram and sram but not sdram. 

and where did you see the 1648Mbits internal memory in the datasheet, this info is new to me. 

Thanks for being so patient, and helpful.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

where did you see the 1648Mbits internal memory 

--- Quote End ---  

It's 1638 kBit 

--- Quote Start ---  

I had this datasheet, and still couldnt find which kind of sdram is it? and again in my quartus I have only ssram and sram but not sdram. 

--- Quote End ---  

It's SDRAM, single data rate dynamic ram. In fact, there's SDRAM driver in Quartus IP. But there are several Altera legacy and open source drivers. I believe there's also suitable IP shipped with the EvalBoard demonstrations.
0 Kudos