Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

.qip file missing in Symbol window?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am using Quartus Web edition (14.1 : Free edition). Started learning : How to create custom Qsys component. So i have following the link :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6tmpwwxik0 

In that video, after generating .qip file, the VHDL code changed to Custom Block design and placed in Symbol. Samething i did but VHDL code--> Custom Block design is missing in Symbol after generating .qip file.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If you want a .bdf file to be in symbol library than copy the files .vhd/.v source along with .bsf file created to Quartus installation directory (C:\**\**\quartus\libraries\user) create "user" folder and copy the files. 

or  

Browse the .bsf file location and use it. 

or  

From project hierarchy, you can use the .bsf file. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't see your picture, but the key is the .bsf file generated, not the .bdf (.bsf is a symbol file, .bdf is a full design schematic file). When you generate the system, make sure you enabled the creation of the .bsf symbol file. Then, the .qip added to your Quartus project should point to the .bsf and then that should appear in the schematic editor. 

If it still doesn't work, copy the .bsf file to your project directory. Maybe then the project will see it so you can add it to a schematic.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

0 Kudos