Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Generate flip-flop level RTL schematic

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Quartus can generate RTL view, but using its LUT as primitive. 

ModelSim integrated into Quartus just don’t give RTL-like view. 

For learning VHDL basics, is there any configuration to force either of these two software generate most simple FLIP-FLOP level schematic (like below)? 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15063&stc=1  

greg
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does the Technology Map Viewer (post-fit) give you what you want if you expand the design blocks?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry, but are you sure you used the RTL vieuwer? I seem to remember that one uses registers, adders, comparators, muxes and logic gates in the schematic. The technology uses the LUTs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The picture you have posted are from ISE, which is Xilinx compilation software, not Quartus. 

Modelsim wont give an RTL view, because it simulates your HDL code as is, it doesnt know about or care what the logic will be.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes I used. 

Is there a way to get most primitive flip-flop level logic view? Quartus post-mapping or post-fitting view all based on particular device's LUT as primitive, I wish to see more generic flip-flop gate form however.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your code didn't have a flip flop in it. Just a latch that had to be emulated with luts. You want the map view to see the most primitive level. An FPGA is all luts and registers. That's as primitive as it gets on anfpga

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK i see it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can we get Quartus RTL views always expand thick bus lines to individual wires?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can we get Quartus RTL views always expand thick bus lines to individual wires? 

--- Quote End ---  

In the RTL view no, but the RTL view is NOT the final implemented design. It is just your code converted to implementable hardware blocks. THe technology map view shows you each bus wire seperately and where each bit goes.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see, thanks.  

How to conclude/mark as finished a post in this forum? Is their a button for this?
0 Kudos