Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Multiple connections to USB Blaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm debugging my Altera DE1 using https://opencores.org/project/adv_debug_sys 

At the same time, I'd want to use SignalTap to catch Wishbone bus transactions (and other signals). 

Is there a possibility to connect multiple applications to one USB Blaster? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Do you mean different design? Then it's not possible on same .stp file. 

If it single design you can monitor required signals. it is possible to have multiple SignalTap files for a given project, but only one of them can be enabled at a time. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I understand the question differently, asking about using different SLD nodes in a design simultaneously. The JTAG SLD architecture is designed for it, you can basically e.g. use signaltap, S&P and in-system-memory editor together, although some restrictions apply, e.g. need to stop S&P transfer before reconnecting a signal tap instance, otherwise the JTAG stack freezes and must be reset. 

If concurrent operation is also possible with the adv_debug_sys core must be checked, I think there's a good chance. 

I need to correct the optimistic assumption. Just realized that adv_debug_core connects to USB Blaster through libUSB, so it's unlikely to share it with the Altera USB stack. To do so, it would need to use Altera dlls to interface Altera programming adapters.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anand Raj Shankar, thanks for your response. 

What I meant was correctly interpreted by _FvM_ in# 3.
0 Kudos