Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Inferring ROM for MAX 10 FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am trying to get Quartus Prime Lite to infer a ROM using the on chip memory (M9K) for MAX 10 FPGA. Instead the ROM gets implemented using LEs which significantly blows up my resource utilisation. I am using the VHDL template in Quartus  

Edit - Insert Template - VHDL - Full Designs - RAMs and ROMs - Single-Port ROM 

I have also tried adding the romstyle attribute, but no luck. 

As an experiment, I changed the device to Cyclone IV and the ROM gets successfully implemented in on chip memory. 

I have searched online and a I came across a solution using MIF files - https://alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54407 

However, this solution is too inflexible for me. I'd like to use VHDL rather than the tool's IP wizard. 

Wondering if anyone has a solution for me? This is driving me crazy. The same VHDL also gets successfully mapped to BRAM on Xilinx devices. Is this a bug in Quartus Prime for MAX 10 FPGAs? 

Regards, 

Singh
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A possible reason that you are using a "compact" MAX10 type that doesn't provide RAM initialization, e.g. SC type. Which device are you compiling the design for?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

Thanks for your reply. 

It's 10M16SAU169C8G 

Regards, 

Singh
0 Kudos