Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Unknown IDCODE for Cyclone 10GX device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Greetings. I am doing board bring-up on a new design that uses a Cyclone 10GX (PN: 10CX105YF672E5G). When I execute a AutoDetect in the Quartus Pro programmer it reports UNKNOWN_2E720DD. The C10GX handbook chapter9 page 240 shows that 02E20DD is the correct IDCODE for the GX105. I ran the JTAG Chain Debugger IDCODE Iteration Test several hundred iterations and it reported that "JTAG chain connection is good and consistent". I was using Quartus Pro 17.1 and updated to 18.0 and get the same unknown ID. 

I made a simple project that passed a clock signal to an output test point. The sof loaded ok through the JTAG (programmer GUI reported success), CONFIG_DONE went high (always a good thing), and my clock showed up at the test point. So the board is behaving at some basic level. 

I added a NIOS processor and had it toggle an output pin in a forever loop. However I could not connect through the Eclipse NIOS debugger nor the System Console (System Console reports 02E720DD@1 connected to the USB-BlasterII). I added Signal Tap to the project but it reports device "@1: (0x02E720DD)" when I execute the Scan Chain button. 

It seems that Quartus just does not recognize the ID which looks correct. Does anyone have a suggestion how this can be overridden? Or is the problem really on my end? 

Thanks, 

Bill
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.To read the device IDCODE correctly, you must issue the IDCODE JTAG instruction only when the nCONFIG and nSTATUS signals are high. 

2.To remedy this problem, perform the following in the Quartus® II Programming window: 

• Perform Auto Detect so that Quartus II Programmer can read all the JTAG IDCODE from the devices on the JTAG chain.  

• From the Edit menu, click Add Device 

• Scroll down to the bottom of the Device Family column and highlight "User Defined" - there should be a list of devices named UNKNOWN_<JTAG_IDCODE> 

• Highlight the unknown device and click Edit 

• You may rename the Device name so it will not be shown as UNKNOWN_<JTAG_IDCODE> 

• Change the instruction register length per the device information. Typically the instruction register length information can be found in the device BSDL file 

• Click OK to save the information 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply Anand! 

I need a bit more help. I verified the nCONFIG and nSTATUS lines are high. 

I can get to the "Edit Device" window ok, but I'm stuck trying to find the instruction register length for the Cyclone 10 GX. Chapter 9 of the handbook points me to this URL for BDSL files but Cyclone 10GX devices are not in the list: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/board-layout-test/bsdl/_11491/bsd-11491.html 

Is there another place I should be looking for the instruction register length?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

For BSDL files for Cyclone 10GX devices and more information check below link. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/board-layout-test/bsdl/cyclone-10-gx.html 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an039.pdf 

The Instruction Register (IR) length for all Altera® FPGAs and CPLDs will be 10 bits long. 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anand, 

We were going down the wrong path. I found another post that suggested this is an issue with the JTAGserver not finding the correct files and recommended removing and re-installing Quartus. I did this and now the programmer, SignalTap, and NIOS debugger report "10CX105Y" correctly. Problem solved. 

Thanks, 

Bill
0 Kudos