Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Preloader Make untar failing.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am attempting to compile a new preloader on windows using SOCEDS 18.0...but am failing at untar'ing the uboot-socfpga.tar.gz.  

Chris@DESKTOP-NSSUV7O /cygdrive/f/VirtualBox VMs/share/rocketboards_image/17_1_DE10/DE0_NANO_SOC_18_0/software/spl_bsp 

$ make 

tar zxf /cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloader/uboot-socfpga.tar.gztar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloader/uboot-socfpga.tar.gz' 

make: *** [uboot-socfpga/.untar] Error 1 

Ideas? 

Besides the point, I am trying to change the SOC Workshop Kernel Module# 9 to use the FPGA 2 SDRAM instead of the FPGS 2 HPS (Heavyweight), by recompiling the preloader, as I've read this is why the FPGS 2 SDRAM is failing for me.  

Right now I'm reinstalling SOCEDS into virtual machine, and trying again.  

Project compiled with 18.0. SOCEDS is version 18.0 

Thanks!
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My fix was to remove the untar from the makefile (run the tar xvf $(preloader.tar.gz) myself)and/or make sure the filepath does NOT have any spaces in it. Seemed to work for me for now. New preloader.bin generated!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

My fix was to remove the untar from the makefile (run the tar xvf $(preloader.tar.gz) myself)and/or make sure the filepath does NOT have any spaces in it. Seemed to work for me for now. New preloader.bin generated! 

--- Quote End ---  

I am experiencing the same with version 16.1. 

I have an older preloader, which I already have compiled (propablywith an older version). Just tried to recompile this one with version 16.1. 

It reported the same error. 

I can not see which version was used to generate this preloader/BSP. 

It make no difference whether I try to compile the old or the new preloader. Neighter will untar the source code. 

I can confirm, that if I copy the "tar" line from the error message and execute it directly in EDS command shell, it works fine.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now I just tried the same on an other computer, running Windows 8.1, still Quartus 16.1 

What didn't work on a Windows 10 machine, worked fine on Windows 8.1 

This issue needs a solution
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Bob, 

Can you please post the modified makefile you have created? 

Thank you 

Yossi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Commet out lines 219/220 of preloader make file.  

# $(RM) $(PRELOADER_SRC_DIR) 

# $(untar_recipe) 

Run 

tar zxf /cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloader/uboot-socfpga.tar.gz 

then  

make 

from EDS prompt. 

I am not good enough with make to know what is going on, but this seems to be the band-aide for me right now.
0 Kudos
MKami1
Beginner

In my case, the file "tar.exe" was in the folder "c:\window\system32". I ran "make -j -d" and at the end saw, that "make" would try to start "c:\windows\system32\tar.exe zxf ..." instead of cygwin path. Of course, windows tar can't to recognise unix path and finishes with error "File not found". So, I deleted "tar.exe" in "c:\window\system32" folder and this is a solution for this issue.

Julien
New Contributor I

Hi,

I stumbled upon the exact same issue, Quartus 18.0 & Windows 10 here.

MKami1 answer nailed it, however personnally I did not want to delete c:\windows\system32\tar.exe from my system, so instead I opted for a one line modification of the Makefile, to avoid swapping windows-style paths by unix-style paths for this specific command:

#$(UNTAR) $(shell cygpath --unix "$(if $1,$1,$(if $<,$<,$(error ERROR: no input provided to gnu make function untar_recipe)))")

$(UNTAR) $(if $1,$1,$(if $<,$<,$(error ERROR: no input provided to gnu make function untar_recipe)))

Works fine. There is probably a much better permanent fix, but I will let Altera care about it.

Cheers

Julien

AThap3
Beginner
0 Kudos
Joakim
Novice

After getting some inspiration to your suggestions above, I found a pretty good solution.

Simply run /usr/bin/make instead of just make.

On my system it uses make from /cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.1/embedded/host_tools/gnu/make/H-x86_64-mingw32/bin/make instead of /usr/bin/make

MxZhk
Beginner
0 Kudos
LLars
Novice

Thanks, I was having the same problem, then I commented out the two lines and it ran!

0 Kudos