Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus Programmer long programming time when ISP clamp feature is used

andi6510
Beginner

Hi,

I am using an MAX10 8k FPGA. Programming that device with a pof-file usually takes a few seconds. Now I tried to use the ISP clamp feature to force one of the pins to a known level during programming. Since I did this, the programming time increased dramatically and is now in the range of minutes. Programming still works fine - it's just much slower than before.

Is that normal?

Can I do something against it?

Any suggestions?

Andi

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Andi,

Can you please provide the following details so that we can replicate the issue?

1. Quartus Edition & Version
  2. Development/Evaluation Kit used
  3. Any IP used in design

Have you taken care of all the steps given in following link,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/an/an630.pdf

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
andi6510
Beginner

Hi @vikasx.jatharX​ ,

1. We are using Quartus 15.1 Web Edition to make the POF files.
  2. It is our own design, not a dev-kit. The 10M08 FPGA is connected to a EPM7032 CPLD in one JTAG chain
  3. We use a lot of the (free) IP to access most of the FPGA features. But I cannot detail everything here in an open forum. I do not believe that this is relevant because the problem does not occur in user mode.
  4. Yes, I am aware of that application note you have linked to and I think I followed it in every detail.

Some more observations:

For the Quartus Programmer I tried 15.1 and also 18.1 - no change in behaviour.

Programming time for both CPLD and FPGA is...

without ISP clamp: 15-20 seconds

with ISP clamp: 130-150 seconds

With ISP clamp it always does a verify, regardless if i put a tick to the verify check boxes or not.

When you add an isp file in the programmer, it always does ISP clamp, regardless if I put a tick to the ISP clamp checkboxes or not.

To enable ISP clamp I tried the following methods:

1. Adding ISP file in the programmer. In this file exactly one pin is forced to HIGH, the others are left untouched.
  2. Adding the ISP-clamp property to the pin in the assignment editor in Quartus and re-generate the POF file.

Both have exactly the same behaviour.

But maybe we should start one step before: The reason for ISP clamp is, that I am using it as a workaround for another problem. I would not have to use the ISP clamp feature at all, when the "weak pull up"-feature would be working in programming mode.

But this is also kind of buggy:

I have set the tick mark at "enable weak pull up" in the ICB settings when I generated the POF file. It seems that the weak pullup is active with an empty, unconfigured device. But when I start programming the inernal flash, the pins appear to change to tristate mode. This is what is causing the my trouble. So I tried to use ISP clamp to force the relevant pin to high. But with a weak pullup that would also be fine.

So the question is: Can I use weak pullup when I program the internal flash?

Andi