Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Errors encountered while generating aocx file from the vector-addition OpenCL kernel

jliu32
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am trying to compile the vector-addition OpenCL kernel from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/design-software/embedded-software-developers/opencl/developer-zone.html#design-examples for the Arria 10 reference BSP. The command that I use is "aoc -o bin/vector_add_a10gx_hostch_centos.aocx -v -report -board=a10gx_hostch device/vector_add.cl" During synthesis, Quartus issues a number of errors, and the root seem to be:

Error (287078): Assertion error: Valid clear box generator not found or Errors encountered during clear box generation File: /home/jamesliu/intelFPGA_pro/17.1/quartus/libraries/megafunctions/altera_syncram.tdf Line: 127 Error (287078): Assertion error: Stratix does not support a fifo with LPM_SHOWAHEAD = "ON" File: /home/jamesliu/intelFPGA_pro/17.1/quartus/libraries/megafunctions/a_dpfifo.tdf Line: 112

My Quartus Prime Pro and AOCL versions are both 17.1.0.240. Furthermore, these errors pop up both when I run aoc under CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 16.04. Please see the attachement for the complete logs dumped by Quartus.

I wonder if anyone has run into the same issues and figured out some workarounds.

Jmuse

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

I have not seen the error before so I cannot give an exact solution. However, I have some recommendations that might solve your problem:

1. Make sure you have enough disk space left for the compilation files to be stored.
  2. Try updating both Quartus and AOC to v17.1.2.
  3. Use the standard reference BSP rather than the "hostch" one which is for designs that use host channels.
0 Kudos
jliu32
Beginner

After experimenting with the environment variables for a while, I finally solved the issue.

Previously, I set some of the OpenCL SDK environment variables using relative path:

export INTELFPGAVERSION=17.1 export INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT=/opt/intelFPGA_pro/$INTELFPGAVERSION/hld export ALTERAOCLSDKROOT=$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT export QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE=$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/../quartus export QUARTUS_ROOTDIR=$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE export QSYS_ROOTDIR=$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/../qsys export SOPC_KIT_NIOS2=$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/../nios2eds   export PATH=$PATH:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/bin:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/linux64/bin:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/host/linux64/bin:$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE/bin:$QSYS_ROOTDIR/bin

Apparently the relative paths (e.g. /../) eventually caused Quartus to incorrectly assume that the device family was Stratix instead of Arria when elaborating the components inside the kernenl . Everything worked after I changed all the environment varible to absolute path:

export INTELFPGAVERSION=17.1 export INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT=/opt/intelFPGA_pro/$INTELFPGAVERSION/hld export ALTERAOCLSDKROOT=$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT export QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE=/opt/intelFPGA_pro/$INTELFPGAVERSION/quartus export QUARTUS_ROOTDIR=$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE export QSYS_ROOTDIR=/opt/intelFPGA_pro/$INTELFPGAVERSION/qsys export SOPC_KIT_NIOS2=/opt/intelFPGA_pro/$INTELFPGAVERSION/nios2eds   export PATH=$PATH:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/bin:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/linux64/bin:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/host/linux64/bin:$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE/bin:$QSYS_ROOTDIR/bin

0 Kudos