Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

Quartus 18 not starting jtagd with tty causes failure

MJone6
Beginner

On Ubuntu 16, I can start jtagd on the command line and quartus 18 can use usb blaster, but when quartus starts jtagd itself, it can't communicate with usb blaster. When I ps -ef | grep jtagd, the only difference is the working case has a tty, and the failing case has "?" for the tty. Both have the same owner. The only difference on the command line is when manually started I added --foreground --debug. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi MJone16,

Can you provide some steps and screen shots to explain the failure that you are seeing? I'm not sure if I understand on what you are trying to do here. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
MJone6
Beginner

1) Open Quartus 18 on Ubuntu 16

2) Open a design

3) Open programming tool

4) Select USB Blaster

5) Hit program button

6) It will eventually timeout after a long time

7) Close the tools

8) killall -9 jtagd

9) Start jtagd manually

10) Back to step one

11) At step 5 it will work

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi MJone6,

Apologize for the delay response. I needed time to find a machine that I can install Ubuntu 16 as all the machines here Windows OS. So, I managed to installed Ubuntu 16, then Quartus Lite v18.0 tools and the USB Blaster driver. After the installation I restart the machine.

1) Open Quartus 18 on Ubuntu 16

2) Create a new project design --> Compile to generate a .sof file

3) Open Programming tool

4) Select USB Blaster

5) Perform auto-detect --> Successfully detect MAX 10 device on the dev kit

6) Add .sof file into the programmer

7) Click start --> Programming start until progress bar show 100% success

I'm not able replicate the issue that you are seeing. Can you provide some screen shot showing the issue?

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
MJone6
Beginner
Nooraini, Selecting the “Dual Compressed Image”s does not add this line to the qsf file: set_global_assignment -name ENABLE_NCONFIG_FROM_CORE ON And the default version of the assignment is OFF. Therefore, signaling a reconfig using the IP fails. The solution of manually editing the qsf with a text editor is non-obvious and undocumented. See image below. Mike [cid:image001.png@01D46153.A83DA8A0]
0 Kudos