How to deal with time limited build

LLars
Novice

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi LLars.

May I know what do you mean by time limited build? Please provide more details on what you are trying to do.

Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
LLars
Novice
I have a De1 SoC board which in the example code apparently includes time limited IP so I can program the board and do things when connected, but the example says to convert the .sof file to an .rbf file, which I cannot do. Not only that, for my testing I need the system to boot, load the FPGA image, and the software to see if it will run. Since this doesn't seem to be supported by the tools you offer, I will have to find an Alternative solution. The Pro version of your tools doesn't support the cyclone V device, and there doesn't seem to be a way to buy a license for the IP modules. So if there is no solution, I will have to abandon using Intel FPGAs. Lee
0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi LLars,

Which IP is the time limited IP? Please be specific on the issue/error/warning message that you are seeing since you say that you are not able to convert the .sof to a .rbf file. Provide screen shots showing the issue that you are facing. The DE1 SOC kit is a Terasic product, thus we might not know which IP that you are referring to. You are correct about Quartus Pro does not support Cyclone V device however the Quartus Standard edition does support Cyclone V device.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
LLars
Novice

The example used a NiosII processor. But that is getting sort of irrelevant if the software doesn't support the cyclone V which I wanted to use, is there a way to licence any/all of the IP modules, so I never have to deal with this problem again?

It has cost me weeks of developement time, just trying to figure out how to get around this ridiculus problem.

I have 38 years of design experience and I have never had such a futile design frustration.

lee

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi LLars,

May I know which Quartus edition you are using that prompt the time limited .sof? The Quartus Pro (paid edition) was developed for high range 10 series family such as Stratix 10, Arria 10 and Cyclone 10 GX moving forward. As mentioned earlier, Quartus Standard edition does support Cyclone V device. Thus you can use Quartus Standard (paid edition) with NIOS II processor in Cyclone V. Even Quartus Lite (free edition) still support Cyclone V device however certain IP Base Suite license is available for purchase. You can refer to the Quartus software feature comparison information from the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/quartus-prime/download.html

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf

For Quartus Lite full licenses to the IP suite, you can contact your local authorized Intel sales representative for further assistance:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

You may also refer to the following link for other FAQs on the IP base suite:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/intellectual-property/design/q_and_a.html

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
LLars
Novice

To start with when I click to replay I get

Non-serializable class: java.util.ArrayList$SubList

Your reply is worthless, because it just points me back to places I have already been and doesn't answer the question.

HOW DO I GET A LICENSE FOR ALL IP FOR STANDARD QUARTUS??

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi LLars,

I apologize if I have misunderstood here but it would be easier if you can provide screen shots showing this issue that you have mentioned earlier:

To start with when I click to replay I get

Non-serializable class: java.util.ArrayList$SubList

The existing Quartus Standard license comes together with the basic IP base suite as a package. I have checked within the internal team and they confirmed that for purchasing additional IP license regardless for Pro, Standard and Lite edition, user need to contact their local authorized Intel sales representative(Authorized Distributors):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
LLars
Novice

Your answer, go search the web for an answer is worthless. I clicked the link went to several of the websites and couldn't find anything, other than at Arrow, they had an FFT and a Vertibi module for $9K, neither of which I am interested in.

An example of time limited IP was a video decoder, video switch, etc

Even when I built an FPGA with the newer NIOS II CPU, it was time limited, so I went back to an older NIOS Ii..

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi LLars,

I do apologize that you are not getting the answer that you are looking for in this forum. However I believe that one of the Intel FPGA sales representative has been in contact with you regarding on additional IP license purchase. Please do communicate with them for further assistance.

At the same time, please provide your current Quartus Standard license (.dat file) for us to check. Since you mentioned that when you try to built newer NIOS II CPU, it was time limited. Which Quartus Standard version that you were trying to use the newer NIOS II CPU?

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
LLars
Novice

I have decided that I am not going to use the FPGA with built in HPS since I have not been able to get an answer for the past 7 months.

TI offers a Soc with ARM CPU, DDR3 and lots of periperals, so I am going to use that instead.

0 Kudos