Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus 18.1 still broken.

corestar
New Contributor I

I tried Quartus 18.1 Standard. Basic functions are still broken. For example, many IP will not open up in the wizard. Also, the update IP step is broken and many (eg Triple Speed Ethernet) say the update failed. Complete waste of time. I just uninstalled it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

"Also, the update IP step is broken and many (eg Triple Speed Ethernet) say the update failed. Complete waste of time. I just uninstalled it."

Can you provide the broken links,IPs name which you are having issue with screen shot?

we are able to update Triple Speed Ethernet IP successfully.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

Ok, I took 3 hours of my time to reinstall 18.1 and capture the exact issues (see attached). I'm on Windows 7 Pro.

1) Components I selected on install.

2) I did not reinstall USB Blaster

3) Open my 18.0 projects and click on "Launch IP Upgrade Tool".

4) List of components it says need upgraded. I click "Perform Automatic Upgrade".

5) It fiddles around for a while.

6) Tells me which ones failed.

7) List of errors.

Note, I had edited pll_wizard.lst and altera_eth_tse_wizard.lst as per forum post shown in Fig 8 and 9 (which were not easy to find given how screwed up the new forum search engines are). Putting them back to their original

did not help and the ones in 18.1 also seem to be in error.

When I attempted to attach the .lst files, the ANSWER button was grayed out, so I added a .txt suffix (yet another issue with the forums).

When I do a File -> Open on MAIN_PLL.vhd (the generated core) it just opens MAIN_PLL.vhd (same for EMAC.vhd) instead of the wizard. Things like the FIFO open in the wizard as expected.

1) selected_components.jpg

2) Install_complete.jpg

3) launch_ip_upgrade.jpg

4) upgrade_components.jpg

5) regenerating.jpg

6) upgrade_failed.jpg

7) Error Messages.jpg

8) Cannot edit the generated PLL Intel FPGA IP v18.0.jpg

9) Fix for Wizard in 18.0.jpg

Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

we appreciate your efforts and patience.

we request you all, for better support,please open multiple threads instead of single thread with multiple queries.

Step 1 : With reference to Fig. 6 :

please first modify the .lst file(Since it is temporarily solution) as suggested in Fig .9 from the installed directory & path may similar like below & check screen shots as well,

C:\intelFPGA\18.1\ip\altera\ethernet\altera_eth_tse

TSE_WizardJPG.JPG

PLL_Wizard.JPG

Chip_ID_wizard.JPG

Step 2 : from "Upgrade Tool" click on "Failed" IP & generate again..

Failed_IP.JPG

TSE_Generation.JPG

Step 4 :

"When I attempted to attach the .lst files, the ANSWER button was grayed out, so I added a .txt suffix (yet another issue with the forums)." 

I also realized same behavior & it might happen during maintenance or .lst is not supported.

Step 5:

"When I do a File -> Open on MAIN_PLL.vhd (the generated core) it just opens MAIN_PLL.vhd (same for EMAC.vhd) instead of the wizard. Things like the FIFO open in the wizard as expected."

Now check below,

MAIN_PLL_VHD.JPG

Step 6:

Successfully upgraded & Compiled.

Successfully_upgrade.JPG

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

Vikas,

Thanks for investigating this. Are you basically saying that the same modifications to the .lst files required to allow the Megawizard to function are also required for the IP upgrade to succeed?

I've already uninstalled 18.1 again since it does not have any new features that help me. But hopefully these issues will be fixed in a future release.

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Yes, It is applicable in such case where IP names renamed with Intel.

Sure, it will be fixed in current & future versions as well but for temporarily solution we may come with 'solution note' in Knowledge data base.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

0 Kudos