FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Arria10 GX Development kit: Problems with finding Arria10 device in the JTAG Chain

AHano
Beginner

Hello,

I pressed S7 bottun to reset the board bay mistake, after reseting the Max5 device on the Arria GX board, the Led D16 became red.

since then, the board is behaving strangely. the Arria10 can not be found on the JTAG chain, whatever I do.

When I give the command jtagconfig I get the MAX5 device only presented, no arria 10 device.

One remark here, the Arria 10 gets only 3 seconds visible by the jtagconfig command, then it is gone.

is this a hardware issue (like a capacitor Damage)? or a software issue that we can fix?

please help.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Ahano,

The D16 LED is just an indicator when the FPGA configuration from flash fails. This shouldn't affect the auto detect via Quartus programmer/jtagconfig at all. If the Arria 10 is not enable in the JTAG chain, the Quartus programmer (jtagconfig) can only detect MAX V device. Did you check SW4.1 is set to OFF (to enable the Arria 10 to the JTAG chain)? Check all the jumper and switch setting on the board, make sure to set them back to the default factory setting. You can refer to the Arria 10 dev kit user guide for the default factory settings under chapter "Default Switch and Jumper Settings":

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10-fpga-prod-devkit.pdf

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
AHano
Beginner

Dear Nooriani,

Thank you for your reply. Actually, all jumpers are set correctly. I figured out using the Linear Technology DC1613A Software, that the power regulator on board is not working correctly. U0.5 is dead after 10-20 seconds. This causes this problem. Do you suggest any technical support contacts so that we can fix it.

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi AHano,

For you information, we do not offer any repair service. However we do need to check the warranty period of the board for any RMA request.  When did you purchase or received the Arria 10 board? Please provide the Arria 10 dev kit S/N information.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
AHano
Beginner

We purchased the board on 27 of August 2018 and received the board on 30th of August 2018, just two monthes ago.

The S/N is 6XX-44366R-0G

Type: 10APCIe0003206

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi AHano,

Can you provide some pictures showing the board failure? It would be better if you can show video on the Arria 10 gets detected only 3 seconds visible by the jtagconfig command or Quartus programmer, then it is gone.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
AHano
Beginner

Hi Mr. Nooraini,

Please find attached the output of the NIOS II Command Shell, when we run jtagconfig.

I can send you the video on Monday when I am back to our laboratory, if this ok for you.

Regards,

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
AHano
Beginner

Hello,

Do you have a secure file share? I am trying to upload the files, but it seems they exceed the allowed volume.

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi AHano,

I have privately provide the instruction to send the files to me. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi AHano,

Apologize for the delay in response. I have watched the shared video shows the Arra10 dev kit was plug into the PCIe slot. Both the shared links showed the same video. I saw the jtagconfig test detected MAX V device. The jtagconfig --debug result does not show any error. It was able to detect as single device (in this case MAX V) in the JTAG chain. If the Arria 10 is not enable in the JTAG chain, the Quartus programmer (jtagconfig) can only detect MAX V device. If both the Arria 10 and MAX V are enable in the JTAG chain but somehow if the Arria 10 device failed to power up, the Quartus programmer should detect some kind of error in the JTAG chain as incomplete.

Did you check SW4.1 is set to OFF (to enable the Arria 10 to the JTAG chain) before powering up the Arria 10 dev kit? Can you provide me a video showing the dip switch settings (SW4) before powering up the Arria 10 dev kit stand alone? Then launch Quartus programmer to perform auto detect.

You can refer to the Arria 10 dev kit user guide for the default factory settings under chapter "Default Switch and Jumper Settings":

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10-fpga-prod-devkit.pdf

Also I have attached a screen shot on the SW4 setting. Thus please check the SW4 setting orientation.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
AHano
Beginner

Dear Mr. Nooriani,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, all the settings were correctly made; all switches are correctly set. The problem is that the Arria 10 chip is on the chain for only 10-20 seconds and then disapear from the chain. which hints at some issues with stability of the power supply of the Arria 10. Or at least may be, that one of the power pins is not delivering the right voltage-level.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Ahano,

We have check internally, your development kit has been validated under warranty. Please contact your local authorized Intel Distributors to request for the RMA process:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Please include the following information when requesting the RMA.

a. Board : Arria 10 GX FPGA Development kit

b. Dev Kit P/N : 6XX-44366R-0G

c. Dev Kit S/N : 10APCIe0003206

d. IPS case#00396753

e. Include the debugging steps that was done 

Thank you

Regards,

Nooraini 

0 Kudos