Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7352 Discussions

Bluetooth driver problem with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 (Windows 7)

STroc
Beginner

Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer and since then I'm having some issues with Bluetooth. The card is Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160, I only use it for Bluetooth (the PC is connected via Ethernet).

By default Windows 7 tries to install some generic drivers, which seems to work but then I'm getting the following error message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

If I try to install the latest Intel drivers (BT_20.110.0_64_Win7), I occasionally get the following error message: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Any guidance on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ST

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. To address Bluetooth issues, we recommend following these steps: A. Perform a clean install of the wireless driver following these steps. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows 7* Version: 20.110.0 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28510/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-7-?product=75442 B. If the issue persists, restart the Bluetooth Support Service: 1. Windows key + R 2. Type services.msc. 3. Next, right click on Bluetooth Support service 4. Select Restart. 5. Right click on Bluetooth support service and select Properties and ensure that the startup type is Automatic. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, Were you able to perform the steps recommended? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
STroc
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Thanks a lot for your response, I just tried the proposed steps. Unfortunately this has not resolved the issue.

When I did the clean install, here is what I noticed:

• as soon as I uninstall the wireless drivers, Windows 7 detected the card and automatically installed some drivers. The card then showed in Device Manager as "Generic Bluetooth adapter" and seemed to go on and off a few times before showing an error and stating "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
  • when I then installed the driver you provided a link for, Windows 7 identified the card as "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" in Device Manager. There was still an error message but this time it was a different one: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I then tried to restart Bluetooth Support Service but it made no difference.

Would have any suggestion as to what the problem might be?

For information the WiFi seems to be working fine, it's just Bluetooth that does not work.

Thanks,

ST

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, We would like to take a look at your system configuration. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. If your system model is not included on the report, please include it. Also, please let us know if the wireless adapter came preinstalled on the computer or if you replaced it. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
STroc
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Thanks for your response. The card came pre-installed on the computer.

I attached the report.

Regards,

ST

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, We will take a look at the information attached and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, Prior to reinstalling Windows* 7, were you running the Bluetooth driver customized for your system or a previous Intel driver? Have you tried installing the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver first? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
STroc
Beginner

Thanks for your message.

I went back to the drivers CD and noticed that there were 2 sets of bluetooth drivers on it.

I did a clean install of the other driver, and the bluetooth is now identified by Windows 7 as "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 4.0 Adapter".

The good thing is that it is stable and no longer shows an error message in the device manager. However I have no bluetooth tray icon, although the option is selected in the bluetooth settings (screenshot below).

BT.jpg

I tried adding 2 different bluetooth devices, but none are detected by the PC.

I ran the Intel® System Support Utility and attached the report for reference.

Any other suggestion?

Regards,

ST

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, Try restarting the Bluetooth Support Service again. 1. Windows key + R 2. Type services.msc. 3. Next, right click on Bluetooth Support service 4. Select Restart. 5. Right click on Bluetooth support service and select Properties and ensure that the startup type is Automatic. Also, uncheck and check the "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area" and restart your system. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello STroc, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
STroc
Beginner

Thanks Wanner.

I tried everything you suggested but unfortunately nothing worked.

I decided to buy a USB bluetooth dongle instead.

ST

0 Kudos