Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

USB Client driver (Intel® System Controller Hub US15W Chipset (Embedded)

ADara
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm searching for a SW package that I've found mentioned on the web, eg: http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.devel.mobile/2007-12/msg00000.html. http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.devel.mobile/2007-12/msg00000.html." target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.devel.mobile/2007-12/msg00000.html.

This SW package should be: "The Poulsbo USB Client utilities, provided by Intel, are reference implementations which are released as open source code.", and consists of the following components:

1) Linux Poulsbo USBC controller driver2) Patches to Mass Storage gadget driver and RNDIS gadget driver.3) Linux client utility.4) Linux host utility5) Windows host installer6) Windows host wizardOn the download-center, I've only been able to find USBC-drivers for Windows XP Pro and Embedded. However, I'm looking for Linux USB Client drivers. We are especially interested in the switching between mass storage and rndis.

Do anyone know where to find the open-source reference driver?

Best regards,

Anders Darander

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ISHU_V_Intel
Employee

Hi Anders,

USB client driver has not been upstreamed to the kernel yet. Actually, we didn't see demand for it from the customers. Traditionally, we provide such software to the OEMs who distribute it to their customres.

Are you working for any PC manufacturer? Thanks.

Regards,

ishu

0 Kudos
ADara
Beginner

Hi Ishu,

I'm working for a company doing both consultancy work, and complete solutions for customers in the embedded fields.

One of our current solution projects, is based on an Qseven module from Congatec, with an Intel ATom Z510 on it. The unit should be able to let a notebook computer attach the its USB-device port, and offer a monitoring program (thus the demand for a USB Mass Storage device). When the monitoring program is run on the notebook, the unit should stream (measurement) data for visualization to the notebook (thus the demond for an RNDIS-device).

While searching for solutions on how to switch between these devie profiles/classes, I stumbled upon the referenced link [1] which talked about a reference implementation from Intel, that had pretty much the desired characeristics. (It was only mentioned that the reference implementation was open-source).

I hope you could help me locating the mentioned reference implementation, together with the accompanying host drivers/implementations for Windows (primarily), but preferably also for Linux. (These was/is supposed to be part of the reference package).

Thanks in advance,

Anders

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.devel.mobile/2007-12/msg00000.html http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.devel.mobile/2007-12/msg00000.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.devel.mobile/2007-12/msg00000.html

0 Kudos
ISHU_V_Intel
Employee

Hi Anders,

I'm checking with the group responsible for this driver and will get back to you soon.

ishu

0 Kudos
ISHU_V_Intel
Employee

Hi Anders,

I'm still working on this. The developer responsible is on vacation till end of this week. I'll come back to you by next week.

ishu

0 Kudos
MZolo2
Beginner

Hi,

we have a similar problem with US15W QSeven products.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
MZolo2
Beginner

Hi,

are there any updates on this ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi lebontu:

I am told that the driver has been located and Intel folks are checking whether there are any licensing requirements. Thanks for your patience.

Felix

0 Kudos
CSa
Beginner

Hello,

I am also working with the Intel USB Client feature but under XP. My system is a Z530 Atom Processor with Poulsbo Chipset. I use now the following driver version:

Driver Revision: PV Candidate - USBC Driver Version: 1.00.00.9041 - April 7, 2008

I can not find any newer release. Can you tell me, please where can I find it?

Kind Regards,

SMI

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello, SMI:

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

Since you are using Intel® Atom and US15W System Controller Hub, I want to make you aware of a special place to go with your technical questions. The Intel e-Help desk is staffed by Intel representatives dedicated to answering embedded Intel® architecture product, design and development questions for select Intel processors..

The Intel e-Help desk is only available to registered private users. Before you can access e-Help, you will first have to upgrade your community membership to private status. Private account status also allows you to access special documents and tools at the Intel® Embedded Design Center. Note that it usually takes a few days for the approval process, and it normally requires that your company has a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Intel. If you are interested, Click here to go to your 'My Account' page and request registered private access.

In the meantime, let's see if someone in the community can help you with an answer.

Felix

0 Kudos
ADara
Beginner

Hi,

That was only partially what I was looking for (I had actually found a patch-from beginning of 2009 on a mailing list, either lkml or linux-usb), with the USB-client driver.

What I was looking for was the rest of the SW-package I had found mentioned, and needed patches. This concerned the switching mechanism not in the standard driver. However, as this has been delayed, we're problably going for an RNDIS-only solution.

Regards,

Anders

0 Kudos
VHuyn2
Beginner

Is Windows 7 driver available????? I can't use XP driver in W7 (it worked but I lost 2/3 of the speed I was getting under XP)

0 Kudos
LVais
Beginner

I' working on Intel Atom platform and we would like to do some changes to original driver. Unfortunately the link to source code is dead.

Can somoone hlep me with source code of this driver?

0 Kudos
PWang18
Beginner

We have the same problem here. We have an ATOM US15W Linux product we want to add USB gadget capabilities to it but the link to the driver source

gave me "Bad Gateway". Does anyone know how to get the source? Thanks.

-- Pearl Wang

Expert Software Engineer

IP Video Systems

BARCO, Inc.

Sunnyvale CA 94089

0 Kudos