Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

IEGD 10.x and WinXp - Stand-By problem

DBerg4
Beginner

Hi!

I have a simple question: is the standby-resume (from S3) supported under XP by IEGD drivers, using the US15W platform? Or, like under Linux, standby isn't supported yet?

Thanks, Davide Bergamini

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Standby should be supported by IEGD on Windows. We have an OS issue in Linux right now that is blocking us from being able to successfully resume on Linux, but that issue should not exist on Windows.

Are you expreiencing an issue? If so, do you have a Premier Support account with us?

Kirk

0 Kudos
JBell6
Beginner

I am an end-user simply trying to use the IEGD 10.3.1 XP-SP3 driver on my ATOM Z520-GMA500 netbook. I can confirm that the X264 DXVA performance is outstanding but when the netbook goes into standby, the system freezes and must be restarted. This has been reported by many other users as far back as 2007.

Is it possible to add this to the list of problems to be corrected?

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

It is on the list. Not sure when it will be corrected. The Spec Update for a particular release should contain details.

0 Kudos
JBell6
Beginner

Thanks Kirk.

Can you give me the ID number please, so I can confirm we are talking about the same issue?

The only similiar ID that I see in the 10.3.1 issue list is only for linux/moblin.

Has it been expanded to include XP-SP3? ... because it is the same problem.

"200898 linux/moblin System will either restart or crash/halt after wake up from SUSPENDS3 state. Plan Fix in upcoming 10.3.x Hot fix release "

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Sorry, I thought we had switched the topic to Linux.

For XP standby issue, the graphics driver gets blamed alot for other issues on the platform. We tend to see other drivers (or other hardware issues like bad power supply designs that cannot handle the surge when things start to wakeup) make it look like the graphics failed. As far as we know, standby should be functional on XP with IEGD.

There is something "funky" on most netbooks designs for standby that we do not support. It is not something we support so we are not carrying it as an open issue as support for those devices is not in our division. You may just need to use the GMA500 driver that is designed for your platform.

0 Kudos
JBell6
Beginner

Thanks for the response Kirk. I have tested further and the IEGD 10.2.0.1447 version does recover correctly from XP-SP3 standby, so it would appear that something in 10.3 broke that functionality.

I have attempted to use the GMA500 driver but the DXVA performance is so poor that it cannot decode at full framerates like the IEGD. It also BSOD's on H264 videos using DXVA which I have separately reported in the Intel Forum.

I appreciate your points regarding netbook designs but if my system has no standby problems with the GMA500 driver I would not expect problems with the IEGD. I also think the extensive reporting of XP standby problems on almost every GMA500 forum indicates there is reason to take a second look at the IEGD.

Hopefully you can get it on the list, or encourage improvements with the GMA500 driver to get it up to performance par with yours.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Wow, XP standby testing is supposed to be one of our main tests for ship approval. That means either some sort of odd race condition exists on your particular platform that we cannot reproduce, or that testing was not performed on the final bits for some reason. I will dig in a bit and see if that later may be the case (final standby testing may have been done BEFORE the final bits were complete which means we have a test hole in our test case) to try to prevent that from happening again. What is the particular build # of the 10.3 you tried? We are currently providing 10.3.1.1550 and I was wondering if it is non-functional with that current release.

0 Kudos
JBell6
Beginner

Both 10.3.0.1525 and 10.3.1.1550 fail (lockup/black screen) when coming out of standby. 10.2.0.1447 does not fail.

Its really hard to accept that standby has been verified in the ship release, because the web is loaded with references to XP standby failure on many different manufacturer ATOM/GMA500 systems, going back for many previous releases. Perhaps the verification is being done on a different system. Mine is an ASUS 1201HAB (BestBuy), others reporting problems in their forums are the Fit-PC2 (out of the UK I think),and the Dell Mini.

Thanks for following up on this.

John

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

We primarily use Intel CRBs called "Crown Beach" to do our testing as well as Portwell Nano-8044 boards which is a production board. I still have a query into our validation team to see what might have gone wrong. This may be something we call a test "escape" which we take very seriously.

THX, Kirk

0 Kudos
sclea
Beginner

To add another voice to this discussion, I have just spent a day or so trying to get this driver to work. I can unequivocally say that the driver is the cause as I have removed all extraneous software, with the install on a clean system (Asus 1101HA). The standard GMA 500 drivers without opengl support cause no problem, only the special release drivers. The are really needed to bring the system capabilities up to standard. Is there any update as to whether this is being worked on for the next release. I have been using release 10.3.1.1550

The below link shows some of the discussions on this issue and is just one example

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=692510 http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=692510" rel="nofollow">http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=692510

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

I've escalated this to the sustaining team. At this point it sounds like a new "feature" ;-) of 10.3 that we really do not want...

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

I've checked with the dev and Validation teams and they do NOT see this issue on any of our test platofms. However, we are using our VBIOS along with the IEGD driver.

Transitioning into and out of 'S3' Stand-By state specifically and Power management generally are complicated events that require that the version of the video bios integrated into the overall firmware match the graphics driver version and type. You reported a technical Stand-By problem using the IEGD graphics driver when matched with the default system bios for the Netbook 1101HA. Based on my review of Asus' 1101A webpage, the default firmware type is 'GMA.'

To fix this problem, Intel recommends you visit Asus' webpage for the Netbook 1101HA here:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8AF6gYB7thq87JM8 http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8AF6gYB7thq87JM8" rel="nofollow">http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8AF6gYB7thq87JM8

On this page you should download a fully validated 'GMA' graphics driver and install it on your Netbook 1101HA system to fix this stand-by problem. I realize you will not have the performance or features your desire however, the VBIOS and driver mismatch is most highly likely the cause of the S3 issues. Re-installing a suitable GMA driver is definitely the best method to fix this problem.

You could choose to re-flash the system firmware but this is not recommended because:

1. The tools are difficult to obtain.

2. It may require involvement of the BIOS manufacturer to create a system BIOS capable of handling the IEGD VBIOS,

3. Doing this incorrectly could cause major problems to the functionality of your system including loss of display.

For this reason, uninstalling the IEGD driver and downloading & re-installing an Asus approved 'GMA' graphics driver is the least risky and easiest method to fix this Stand-By problem.

Check out Asus' webpage for the Netbook 1101HA. As of July 23, 2010, the latest VGA-graphics driver posted by Asus for use with the 1101A netbook is Version V6.14.11.1012 of the Graphics Driver for WIN XP. Its' File Size is 28.88 (MBytes) and was last updated on 2009/07/27

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos