Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Intel Matrix Storage Manager - API?

Nassbirne
Beginner

Does the Intel Matrix Storage Manager have a documented API so that it would be possible to write an application that monitors the RAID status and takes definable actions for the various events?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nassbirne:

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

I'm not quite sure that you are in the right forum for the RAID products but let's see if we can help.Have you already researched the available docs? The page below contains links to several technical docs that may be useful:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm

Hope this helps.

Felix

0 Kudos
Nassbirne
Beginner

Felix,

thanks for your reply. Well, I am not sure about being in the right forum either but I did not find a better place to post my question. Please move me if this is the entirely wrong forum.

Yes, I did search the docs and did not find any information about this topic. None of the docs cover what's "under the hood" of the Matrix Storage driver. I figured maybe someone else has had the same question before and might be able to share the knowledge.

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

OK, I can now see in your member profile that your company designs embedded systems - so this community is indeed appropriate. Reason for my comment was I had not seen any previous questions on this topic. That said, perhaps we have some experts in the community who might know the answer.

0 Kudos
JWhit19
Beginner

Nassbirne, I know it has been a long time since this posting, but I am looking for the same thing you were looking for, and wanted to see if you happen to find anything?

0 Kudos
Nassbirne
Beginner

Nope, unfortunately Intel does not disclose any details about the Matrix Storage driver.

The official answer I got was that this information cannot be provided since it is for internal restricted use only.

Bummer.:smileysad:

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi:

There may be some good news here. One of my colleagues at Intel is looking into this and he indicates that an answer may be coming soon.

For what it's worth, I have learned that Matrix Storage Manager is either a component of or closely related to what Intel calls Rapid Storage Technology (RST).

Stay tuned!

Felix

0 Kudos
JAlex1
Beginner

Hi,

This is something my company is very interested in. We have developed a DVR appliance with removable disk bays, this is based around an embedded board using an industrial Q35 chipset based mainboard that is equipped with an ICH9DO part (thus fully RAID capable). Currently we operate in AHCI mode but the removal and insertion notifications are not entirely reliable (regardless of the driver used, the embedded driver is the worst (very old), the microsoft built-in driver work to some extent and the RST driver are close but not perfect). If we were able to programatically control the RST service then this would be ideal, we could run the chipset in RAID mode and have the ICH9 part implement the RAID and hotswap features - however, the key is that this doesn't involve a user using the RST console, our device is an appliance, even the windows OS is hidden away completely, this is a heavily brand oriented experience.

If there are details available about how to acomplish programatically controlling the RST service (if this is the correct approach) please let me know!

Thanks,

John.

0 Kudos