Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Licensing issues with MCS-96 family

RStru1
Beginner

My name is Rastislav Struharik and I work as an associate professor at the University of Novi Sad. My group works in the area of FPGA IP core design and we have so far developed a range of IP cores. We are now considering a development of IP core for the Intel's MCS-96 microcontroller family. Before we start I would like to enquire is the MCS-96 architecture royalty free? Can we develop an IP core and potentially sell it to the customers without the need to pay the Intel, as original developer of the MCS-96, any fees? I know that, for instance Intel's MCS-51 family is royalty free. Is this also the case for the MCS-96 family? This is very important to us, because we wouldn't want to get into any legal problems with Intel regarding this issue.

I am not sure if I have asked this question at the right place, but I was unable to find any contact on the Intel's website that would be more appropriate to ask this question. If you are unable to answer my question, plase can you point me to the person that is better suited to handle it?

Thank you very much,

Rastislav Struharik
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Rastislav,

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

I will try to find someone who can answer your question.

However, in the meantime I want to make you aware that the MCS-96 family is discontinued by Intel. Anything you were to do with that product is very likely to be without any technical support from Intel.

Thanks

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos
RStru1
Beginner

Felix,

Thank you very much for replying. I am aware that the MCS-96 fimily is discontinued by Intel. This is one of the reasons that we are thinking of developing an FPGA IP core for it. Any information about our (if any) obligations to the Intel in case of the development of FPGA IP core would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rastislav

0 Kudos
ERIC_M_Intel1
Employee

Professor Struharik,

We will contact you by email to discuss this further.

Have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Eric M. Mantion

0 Kudos
RStru1
Beginner

Eric,

Thank you for replying. I will wait for your e-mail.

Rastislav

0 Kudos
RHenk1
Beginner

Dear Mr. Struharik and dear Mr. McNulty

I'm studing electrical engineering and have to write my master thesis soon.

And I'm interested to implement the MCS-96 (80C196) core in a FPGA too. I was working with it during my vocational training.

After I've read that the MCS-96 family is discontinued by Intel I decide to scrutinize this project for my master thesis and so found you posting here.

I don't have any commercial interest in here.Quite the opposite I'm thinking to publish it over opencore.org to learn more about this subject.

My question is therefore the same like Mr.Struharik. There are some licenses, copyrights etc. that would to inhibit my project and the publishing after.

Kind regards

René Henke

0 Kudos