Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

EMGD (GMA500/Poulsbo) on GENTOO Linux

pspo
Beginner

Greetings to you, Intel guys!

I hope you can help me. I downloaded your latest LIN_EMGD_1_10_RC_2209.tgz package, extracted it.

I prepared my system (gentoo) with the desired versions:

- xorg-server-1.9

- mesa-7.9

- hardened-kernel-2.6.36 (AGP, DRM support)

...and fired up the install.sh

The beast compiled, but complained about Unknown Symbols:

- drm_crtc_helper_set_mode

- drm_helper_mode_fill_fb_struct

- drm_helper_connector_dpms

- drm_helper_probe_single_connector_modes

- drm_crtc_helper_set_config

Where are these defined?

There's also a topic at gentoo forums:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6946042.html https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6946042.html

No results.

Any help from Intel programmers would be apreciated.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

This is a common issue for use of our drivers on a non-POR distribution of Linux. Generally when you get compile errors like that, it means either the kernel implementation of the DRM has changed drastically from the mainstream kernel, or, you are missing the appropriate include headers for your kernel version. We do not actually require the source of the kernel to build our DRM, but we do need the appropriate headers from the source to be able to link our DRM module to your kernel.

There are a few ways to correct these issues:

1. Look through your kernel source for the DRM interface and find where the missing symbols "live" and make sure the kernel source headers for the version of the kernel you are building under are in the appropriate path for the EMGD build process. You may need to look at the build scripts for the EMGD DRM to figure out where that is.

2. If the headers are there but your kernel has changed the DRM interface, you will need to adapt the EMGD DRM to your kernel changes. We do include the source for the EMGD DRM module and that gives you an opportunity to do this adaption.

3. If that is beyond your capability, then you may need to change your kernel to be one that IS directly supported (see the readme with the code for details- it changes release to release) -or-

4. If you must use that particular kernel, you may need to go to a third party Linux expert, like Wind River, who are set up to handle customizations like this on a contract basis.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos