Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Using BLDK for D2700 Eval Board

EElkh
Novice

Hello,

We have a D2700 Evaluation board that we want to use Intel BLDK to load the OS image (using Windows Compact 7). We are following the directions found in the Intel User Guide 490123. According to section 9 of the user guide it says Intel BLDK can support booting Windows Compact 7 from USB mass storage as long as the USB is FAT32 formatted, and the following files are on the USB:

efi\boot\BootIA32.efi [BLDK OS Loader]

efi\boot\NK.bin [BLDK-built WEC7 image version]

The BSP that corresponds to this user guide comes bundled with a pre-built UEFI OS loader for WEC7 "BootIA32.efi". It says to simply include the two aforementioned files and the target should boot up the OS. Our target does not boot from the USB with these files on them, a cursor just remains blinking on the screen as if nothing was on the USB to begin with. Are there certain settings that must be configured in the bios when using Intel BLDK? I saw a setting for UEFI Boot under the boot menu in the bios, and I enabled that (it was previously disabled). I am able to boot from my usb drive using other boot loaders, just not BLDK. Any suggestions on how to get this to boot using BLDK?

1 Solution
SLimi
New Contributor I

I see what is going on. I see what you mean about section 9. Also, Section 8 discusses a normal BIOS firmware boot. You have to boot to DOS and run Loadcepc to launch NK.bin. Section 8.1.3 calls out the MakeImageDisk.exe utility.

There ar two firmware options: normal BIOS or BLDK.

From your description, right now you have a normal BIOS in the system. Using Section 8.1.3 should work to boot WEC7. I know there is an UEFI options in this normal BIOS, but I have yet to see an OS be able to boot with this option enabled. The only thing I have attempt was the UEFI Shell, but that is not the same thing.

If you want to boot from BLDK firmware, you have to build firmware and program the flash chip that is currently holding the BIOS with the BLDK firmware. You will need the BLDK Application and Code Base support files for Cedar Rock found here: https://www-ssl.intel.com/p/s/en_US/embedded/hwsw/software/bldk?iid=2770# download https://www-ssl.intel.com/p/s/en_US/embedded/hwsw/software/bldk?iid=2770# download. The PDF I pointed to earlier will help with building the firmware under Windwos or you can use what Intel has online. The BLDK application runs under Windows or Fedora Linux.

I hope that helps.

-Sean

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SLimi
New Contributor I

Just to clarify: Have you built or configured the BLDK firmware and downloaded it to the board? Or are you using the standard BIOS that comes with the platform and enabled UEFI support?

-Sean

0 Kudos
EElkh
Novice

Hello,

I am using the same bios that came with the board. All I have done is enabled UEFI in the bios settings, that is all. The only two files that I have included on the USB are:

efi\boot\BootIA32.efi [BLDK OS Loader]

efi\boot\NK.bin [BLDK-built WEC7 image version]

I have not even downloaded the BLDK software to build the firmware because I thought it would work as stated in the instructions. Must I first download firmware to the board? I saw that this can be done one of two methods, one involving a device I must purchase. Should I specify the version of the bios I have running on the board, would this help determine the issue, or is it because I haven't included the firmware. I am confused regarding the process to boot up an image using BLDK (ie which files must be present on the usb to boot as well as what version of bios must be present on the target board). Do you know what I should try next?

Thank you,

Emir

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

The BLDK is a customized version of the UEFI spec that Intel has developed for those build unique fixed function devices. The BLDK creates a customized firmware that goes into a board. It address a need for those that are building a custom PC who would rather have use a free firmware loader rather than paying a royalty for a traditional BIOS. The UEFI/BLDK also offers the ability to test the board via a shell interface (UEFI Shell) without having to install an OS.

To answer your question, yes, to take advantage of the UEFI/BLDK, you need to download the BLDK and perform the customizations. I have a white paper that discusses the development process:

http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_UEFI/ED_BLDK_V1.1.pdf http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_UEFI/ED_BLDK_V1.1.pdf

The idea is to replace the firmware / BIOS on your board with the customized UEFI firmware, but since your board already has a BIOS, there is no need to do this unless you really want to build a custom board using a D2000 processor.

Since there is a BIOS on the board with UEFI boot support, you should be able to boot WEC7 the traditional way it is outline in the WEC7 documents to boot from a PC.

To boot as UEFI system, you need a bootloader that knows to boot nk.bin. Your setup looks correct. If you have not downloaded the BLDK, where did you get the bootloader – BootIA32.efi? Do you have a link to the User Guide you are refereeing too?

-Sean

0 Kudos
EElkh
Novice

Hello Sean,

The bootloader came with the BSP, it was pre-built. I have attached the document that refers to bldk for this bsp, it is section 9 of the pdf. It simply says to include the two files I mentioned before without the firmware, not sure if I should build the firmware and try again, it may be a possibility that the bios that I have on the board is somehow incompatible. Let me know if the pdf provides any insight.

Thanks,

Emir

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

I see what is going on. I see what you mean about section 9. Also, Section 8 discusses a normal BIOS firmware boot. You have to boot to DOS and run Loadcepc to launch NK.bin. Section 8.1.3 calls out the MakeImageDisk.exe utility.

There ar two firmware options: normal BIOS or BLDK.

From your description, right now you have a normal BIOS in the system. Using Section 8.1.3 should work to boot WEC7. I know there is an UEFI options in this normal BIOS, but I have yet to see an OS be able to boot with this option enabled. The only thing I have attempt was the UEFI Shell, but that is not the same thing.

If you want to boot from BLDK firmware, you have to build firmware and program the flash chip that is currently holding the BIOS with the BLDK firmware. You will need the BLDK Application and Code Base support files for Cedar Rock found here: https://www-ssl.intel.com/p/s/en_US/embedded/hwsw/software/bldk?iid=2770# download https://www-ssl.intel.com/p/s/en_US/embedded/hwsw/software/bldk?iid=2770# download. The PDF I pointed to earlier will help with building the firmware under Windwos or you can use what Intel has online. The BLDK application runs under Windows or Fedora Linux.

I hope that helps.

-Sean

0 Kudos
EElkh
Novice

Hello Sean,

Thanks for the advice. Using section 8 I have been able to boot images using Loadcepc, however when doing so my ethernet ports have not been working correctly. Also, sometimes the target board will restart itself before loading the image, very erratic behavior. For this reason I wanted to go the BLDK route for booting the image. My question is, do I need a programmer to program the flash chip that is holding the BIOS (as you have mentioned in your last post), or can I program the flash chip with the BLDK firmware on a usb drive? I am currently going through the pdf you provided earlier, just wanted to know if I would need to purchase any additional hardware to load the BLDK firmware.

Thanks,

Emir

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

You can try to boot to the UEFI Shell and flash the firmware. If it doesn't work you will have to get a flash programmer. You might want to look into a programmer so you can save off the BIOS for future use. I don't have the board so I don't know if the flash is socketed or not.

Also, check to see if there is any documentation on th BLDK that came with the evaluation platform.

-Sean

0 Kudos
EElkh
Novice

OK thanks Sean, I will look at the document you provided me for instructions how to boot to the UEFI shell and flash the firmware. I will also look into buying a programmer, are there any programmers that are recommended for the atom series of evaluation boards? Unfortunately the pdf I provided is all of the documentation I have for this bsp or for the BLDK.

Thanks for the advice!

Emir

0 Kudos