Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

I try to build very small computer. I only need i7 core not bridge chip. Is there any problem?

Pkuk1
Beginner

I try to very small computer. I only need i7 core not bridge chip. Is there any problem?

I don't need bridge chip at all

All I need is i7 core.

I will make all IO with just PCI-E

but is this okay with making normal pc under windows operating system?

My aim is very low power device so I want remove bridge chip like QM77

Any sujestion and warning?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello:

The short answer to your question is Yes, it is possible to create a system without "bridge chip" like QM77. You might want to read the following blog that describes such an application.

/community/en/hardware/blog/2010/11/04/roving-reporting-custom-chipsets-for-intel-atom-processor-e6xx-series Roving Reporting: Custom chipsets for Intel® Atom™ processor E6xx series

This blog is about Intel® Atom™ implementing all of the I-O via PCI Express, but the same concept can be applied to Intel® Core™. You will note this blog describes a system with "limited" I-O needs in an embedded application. However, you say that you want to create a "normal PC". Please consider below the functions provided by QM77. The chipset provides many of the I-O functions needed in a "normal PC", including video display, audio, SATA, LAN, USB, etc. If your design does not include the chipset, how will you provide these functions? Can you make a custom chip (or FPGA) and implement the same functions at less power than the QM77 ?

I hope this helps

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos