Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1203 Discussions

E660 + EG20T + DDR2 2GB + BLDK does not start

WMasl
Beginner

We have 5 own prototype with Atom E660. 4 work correctly but one doesn't work. I see on oscilloscope BLDK from Flash is read by processor. But nothing see on system console. Postcode shows nothing on 0x80 port. I think it is a mistake assembly, because other 4 board work correctly. How can I check what is wrong? Is there some BIOS (not BLDK) which can show more information on console? We don't use graphics. Or other way how I can check where the problem is. I don't know how procesor executes code of BLDK from cache or from DDR2?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DIVYA_M_Intel
Employee

If this board is an Intel Customer Reference Board, it should have come with a BIOS on it. You can flah that back on to see if the board can boot up.

0 Kudos
WMasl
Beginner

So I tried different BIOS, but the port 0x80 nothing shows.

0 Kudos
FrankVanWeerdenburg
New Contributor I

Hello wm,

You mentioned you measured with oscilloscope processor read the BLDK firmware from flash device. Can you see how many read cycles? After some initial instructions there is an out to port 80 informing boot has been started. In case this does not happen then also considering the other 4 boards are working correctly that the processor is not assembled correctly.

Considering you have a proto series of 5 pieces then your production soldering process has not been optimized yet. You might perform a visual check (view from the side) if the solder balls are shining. If this is not the case you might try a second time through the soldering oven.

You might also use the XDP debugger (using JTAG) to check the processor.

Good luck with getting also this board to work.

Frank van Weerdenburg

0 Kudos
FrankVanWeerdenburg
New Contributor I

Hello wm,

Another idea: are you sure the firmware is in the flash device of this 5th board?

You might use a SPI emulator (like a Dediprog EM100pro) to view initial read cycles.

Frank

0 Kudos
WMasl
Beginner

Thank you for your advices. Initial cycles take about 250 msec - it is too short. In working boards it takes about 1 second. Whence processor know that does not need to read the rest of the flash? We tried to re-solder the processor and memory (8 x 2gbit ddr2 ) the 2 times already. Soldering look very good, but we don't have X-ray to check exactly. We have dediprog SF100 for loading flash not for emulation. What XDP debugger can show in this case?

0 Kudos
FrankVanWeerdenburg
New Contributor I

Hello wm,

ELTAN is able to give you good support on debugging this board.

If you are interested you can contact us:

mailto:fweerdenburg@eltan.com fweerdenburg@eltan.com

www.eltan.com

+31 73 594 4663

0 Kudos