Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

Possible to 'root' a Bay Trail tablet using a PC host?

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello esteemed engineers,

From what I know it's possible to 'root' many ARM-based tablets and flash them with another OS image (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora) by hooking up with a PC host. Is this also possible with Bay Trail tablets? If so, is there a usual procedure for doing this that perhaps many OEMs/ODMs use?

Many thanks!

Hugh Tay

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello Hugh,

Yes, it is possible to root tablets based on IA, which requires the engineering build of the Android image.

To obtain the engineering build, OEMs/ODMs would need to contact the team in Intel that is providing the generic Intel image, and that team would be able to determine if the engineering build can be sent as well.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Hugh! If you would like me to connect you with an Intel representative in your area, please let me know.

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello Casey, Hello Lynn,

Thanks for the tip, and thanks for offering me to connect with someone! My company already has an Intel account manager working with us, and I guess I can forward this info to him to help connect us with the respective ODM.

Additionally, would it also be possible for us to connect with someone on Intel's technical team working on the Linux and/or Android build for Bay Trail? I believe they will be in a good position to discuss features unique to the Bay Trail architecture and we would greatly appreciate their suggestions.

Thanks once again and best regards,

Hugh

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

How are you today, Hugh? I have alerted your Intel account manager to connect you with the ODM. He is traveling so there may be a delayed response. However, I also understand that another Intel agent, Niam, is assisting you specifically regarding your Bay Trail questions. Hope this helps and good luck with your project! Lynn

0 Kudos