Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

BLDK won't build

TGarn1
Beginner

I am following the getting started guide for the boot loader development kit, but when I choose to build the project I get the error message:

"Execution of command 'nmake ' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)"

it appears that there is supposed to be a file provided to the nmake command. Are there additional steps I need to do before building? how to I get the build process to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

After updating the Path environment variable, did you attempt to close and restart the BLDK application? If that does not work, try logging out and logging back in again to make sure the whole environment is picking up the environment variable change.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello,

Please provide the following information:

• Which platform are you using?
  • Which software build and version are you using?
  • Which tool are you using to create the image? Version # ?

Best Regards,

Casey H.

0 Kudos
TGarn1
Beginner

Running windows 7 professional with version 2.0.1.18265 of the boot loader development kit. It appears to be trying to use nmake to build but I'm not sure if that is correct. the version of nmake is 10.00.30319.01. I tried to follow the getting started guide, but the version of ACPI Component Architecture tools for Windows I downloaded wasn't the version suggested because it is no longer available for download from the suggested site. I downloaded the latest version which is 20140724, not the 20070508 version that is suggested.

0 Kudos
TGarn1
Beginner

I found a guide online that is pretty well laid out and it says the error I am getting is from not having the path variable set for nmake. However I am getting this error and I do have the path variable set.

0 Kudos
SZann
New Contributor I

Try to run nmake by hand from a command prompt window.

Maybe the builder is looking for nmake in a fixed path ?

Maybe some folder name has spaces in it ?

Maybe the nmake executable needs some dlls that are not present ?

Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello again,

Thank you Samuel for your advice. I would like to ask a few more clarifying questions.

1. At what point are you running into this issue? Specifically, which page/section/step in the BLDK Getting Started Guide?
  2. It appears the issue is that the system is not finding NMAKE:
    • Do you have Visual C++ Installed? If so, which version?
    • Does the Path system environment variable include the path to the Visual C++ directory that contains NMAKE.EXE (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin)?

Best Regards,

Casey H.

0 Kudos
TGarn1
Beginner

I am referencing the getting started guide which is document number 325925-003, version 2.0. On page 18 paragraph 4.1.4.

I have visual studio 2008 installed. I have added "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin" to the path and have confirmed that I can call it from the command line. The preferences for build tools lists just nmake so there is no fixed path that it is trying to find. My path for the project is what was suggested in the getting started guide "c:\bldk" so there shouldn't be an issue with spaces in the path.

I just tried running nmake from the command line in the workspace (I had previously just run it with ? to make sure the path variable was set) and the build seemed to have worked from there. I still can't build from within the BLDK though. Thank you for your help with troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

After updating the Path environment variable, did you attempt to close and restart the BLDK application? If that does not work, try logging out and logging back in again to make sure the whole environment is picking up the environment variable change.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

0 Kudos
TGarn1
Beginner

That must have been the issue. After a reboot it seemed to build fine.

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

That is good news! Thank you for letting us know.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

0 Kudos