Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

[Intel FSP] Bay trail fsp how to disable internal SIO?

JLee169
Novice

Hi All,

I working coreboot project Bayley bay, my platform is Bay trail+a Fintek SIO ,

the code base is coreboot+ Intel baytrail FSP GOLDEN 2, I want use external SIO com1/2

to instead Intel internal COM1/2, but no success, below is my procedure.

1. Leaveage a SIO init code from a MP project.

2. Use BCT to disable FSP HSUART1/2.

3, Disable devicetree.cb intel hsuart1/2.

3. To boot then show below message

just show below message, enter to OS (DOS or WINDOWS) the COM all fail,

I think, I progamming is correct, but FSP look like will block out the UART IO Addreess,

so, have anybody can tell me how to fixit?Thanks.

BestRegards

James

coreboot-4.0-7155-g16407ab-dirty Mon Nov 17 02:58:02 PST 2014 starting...

RTC Init

Starting the Intel FSP (early_init)

PM1_STS = 0x6900 PM1_CNT = 0x0 GEN_PMCON1 = 0x1001849

prev_sleep_state = S0

Configure Default UPD Data

SPD Addr1: 0xa0

SPD Addr2: 0xa2

Tseg Size: 8 MB

MMIO Size: 2048 MB

IGD Memory Size: 64 MB

Aperture Size: 256 MB

GTT Size: 2 MB

MIPI/ISP: Enabled

Sdio: Enabled

Sdcard: Enabled

Sata: Enabled

SATA Mode: AHCI

Lpe: Disabled

Lpe mode: PCI

SIO Dma 0: Disabled

SIO I2C0: Disabled

SIO I2C1: Disabled

SIO I2C2: Disabled

SIO I2C3: Disabled

SIO I2C4: Disabled

SIO I2C5: Disabled

SIO I2C6: Disabled

Azalia: Enabled

SIO Dma1: Disabled

Pwm0 Disabled

Pwm1: Disabled

Hsuart0: Disabled

Hsuart1: Disabled

Spi: Enabled

eMMC 4.1: Disabled

eMMC 4.5: Enabled

Xhci: Disabled

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello James_Lee

We've got feedback from our engineers, here is the information they provided for us, I hope you find it useful:

There are actually three UARTS on the Bay Trail SoC – two HSUARTs that are part of the Serial IO (SIO) block of devices, and one legacy UART, that is part of the Platform Controller Unit (PCU) block of devices.

The HSUART registers are accessed through PCI BARs, whereas the legacy UART uses the legacy COM1 I/O space registers, 3f8h-3ffh.

Whether or not they disable the on-chip HSUARTs is irrelevant, as they don't use the legacy I/O space addresses for COM1 and COM2.

Although you can disable the HSUARTs with the BCT, the legacy UART cannot be enabled or disabled via the BCT. The legacy UART is actually enabled in coreboot - file coreboot/src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail/romstage/romstage.c calls function byt_config_com1_and_enable(), which is implemented in file coreboot/src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail/romstage/uart.c and sets the bit to enable the legacy UART (it's disabled by default when the chip powers on). This could be replaced by code that initializes COM1 on the Fintek part instead of the UART.

Note that the FSP might also enable the legacy UART internally during the call to FspInitEntry. If so, then it would simply need to be disabled again in the continuation function, which, in coreboot, is function romstage_main_continue() located in file coreboot/src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail/romstage/romstage.c.

Here is the public datasheet for reference on the various UARTs:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-e3800-family-datasheet.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-e3800-family-datasheet.pdf

Best Regards,

Adolfo

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello James_Lee

We are investigating your issue, and will reply back as soon as possible with useful information.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
JLee169
Novice

Hi AdolfoS,

OK, Thank you very much.

Best Regards

James

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello James_Lee

We've got feedback from our engineers, here is the information they provided for us, I hope you find it useful:

There are actually three UARTS on the Bay Trail SoC – two HSUARTs that are part of the Serial IO (SIO) block of devices, and one legacy UART, that is part of the Platform Controller Unit (PCU) block of devices.

The HSUART registers are accessed through PCI BARs, whereas the legacy UART uses the legacy COM1 I/O space registers, 3f8h-3ffh.

Whether or not they disable the on-chip HSUARTs is irrelevant, as they don't use the legacy I/O space addresses for COM1 and COM2.

Although you can disable the HSUARTs with the BCT, the legacy UART cannot be enabled or disabled via the BCT. The legacy UART is actually enabled in coreboot - file coreboot/src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail/romstage/romstage.c calls function byt_config_com1_and_enable(), which is implemented in file coreboot/src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail/romstage/uart.c and sets the bit to enable the legacy UART (it's disabled by default when the chip powers on). This could be replaced by code that initializes COM1 on the Fintek part instead of the UART.

Note that the FSP might also enable the legacy UART internally during the call to FspInitEntry. If so, then it would simply need to be disabled again in the continuation function, which, in coreboot, is function romstage_main_continue() located in file coreboot/src/soc/intel/fsp_baytrail/romstage/romstage.c.

Here is the public datasheet for reference on the various UARTs:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-e3800-family-datasheet.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-e3800-family-datasheet.pdf

Best Regards,

Adolfo

JLee169
Novice

Hi Adolfo,

Thanks for you quickly respond its very useful to me,

I will check you point some thing, thanks a lot.

Best Regards

James