Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I210-IT operation

HTang7
Beginner

I am design in the I210-IT device and just wondering if I need to program any image to the iNVM internal to the device in order to get the device manger to recognize the device.

I am using windows 7.

0 Kudos
49 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello HenryT,

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

Here is a reply from someone in our hardware team: The i210 can be used in an EEPROM-less design, but requires a custom driver to program the registers.

Custom drivers are not supported by Intel.

EEPROM files for various configurations of the i210 interfaces can be found online.

Best Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Leon,

The i210 can be used in an EEPROM-less design,

Is this mean I don't need to attached the flash or EEPROM external to operate the I210 device?

Do you have the drivers to program the register and the tool to program it? If so, can you send me the files?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

Quoting from the i210 datasheet, section 1.4.3

The I210 stores product configuration information in an Internal Non-Volatile Memory (iNVM) and in 

Flash memory. The I210 does not support an external EEPROM. The I210 supports a Flash-less mode

where all the setup found normally in Flash memory are either set to their default, configured by

software, or stored into memory.

However you should bear in mind that using the internal iNVM will disable some features from the controller i210. Please read carfully section 1.5 Features of the datasheet and take a careful look about what features are not applicable when using Flash-less operation

The tools used to program are available in the EDCD documentation, search for the document # 348742. The images for the i210 are in the document "Intel® Ethernet Controller I210/I211-AT Production NVM Images"

You can find both documents the following link: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/library/intelligent-systems.results.html Embedded Content Library

LANConf tool is used for testing purposes, and the EEUPDATE tool is used for mass production. Bear in mind that these tools and the Production images are subjected to the CNDA agreement and should not be distributed to third parties.

You might also find useful the following threads:

/message/10199# 10199 i210 Basic questions/message/10193# 10193 i210: absolutely necessary words in iNVM/message/10235# 10235 i210 - will be one of the most popular 1GbE controllers Intel's ever made, especially for embedded! Find helpful documentation here -

The Intel Driver can be found in the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713&lang=eng&ProdId=3608 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713&lang=eng&ProdId=3608

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi AdolfoS,

Thanks for the info provided. I am very new to this chip and don't know what are the right steps to get I210 up running at windows 7.

I checked section 1.5 and it refer to 1.4.3. I don't have external PHY attached to the I210. RJ45 with integrated magnet connected directly to the I210 only with no external serial Flash memory.

I don't know what features do I need. I just want the windows recognize the I210 and be able to access to the internet through I210. that's all I need.

When the document refer to flash-less, it is mean the serial flash memory attached to the I210?

Will it work with the requirement description above without the external serial flash memory?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

Could you provide more details regarding the platform that you are using?

Is your i210 Controller soldered on a board, part of a NIC, or it has been purchased independently?

If it is part of the board, was the board designed/manufactured by yourselves or it is from a third party manufacturer?

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi AdolfoS,

Thanks again for the help.

The platform is the board that I design in with the I210 network chip. The board design by myself and I am trying to bring up the I210 chip.

Unfortunately, I am not be able to see the I210 from the device manager on Windows 7 for some reason. I don't know what I am missing here in order to make it works.

Nothing have been program to the iNVM. Do I need to do anything special here to make it work?

I have attached the schematic for the circuit. currently, I do not have the Flash memory attached to the I210.

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HenryT,

In this case you can program the iNVM and disable EEPROM that is attached.

This should get you up and going.

The other option though since using iNVM would disable support for manageability related functionality

the work around for it is with the use of a serial flash memory.

Best Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Leon,

In this case you can program the iNVM and disable EEPROM that is attached.

Do you know which file should I use to program the iNVM?

What program do I need to use to program the file?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

First to answer your previous questions:

When the document refer to flash-less, it is mean the serial flash memory attached to the I210?

Yes, flash-less mode use the internal iNVM memory of the i210 controller, it is a basic mode, and some of the features of the controlled won't be enabled.

Will it work with the requirement description above without the external serial flash memory?

Yes in flash-less mode you won't need a serial flash memory attached to the controller.

To program the controller you will need to follow these steps:

1) Download the programming tools for the controller in the following links:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/quartzville-tools-284632.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/quartzville-tools-284632.html

2) Download the production images for your controller that can be found in the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-i211-nvm-images.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-i211-nvm-images.html

3) Select the appropriate production image (it should be one of the images of the iNVM & I211 folder) customize it to suit your needs.

4) Program the image following the instructions of the EEUPDATE tool documentation and the document: Programming the iNVM (internal NVM) for the Intel® I211-ATSingle-Port Gigabit Network Connection device (And I210 in flash-lessmode)

5)Use the eeupdate tool to check that the controller has been programmed.

Step 3 is the most critical, since you are new to this controller here are some basic hints:

• Read carefully all the documentation provided with the tools and images, and make sure that you understand it.
  • You should also read carefully the section 3.4 iNVM of the datasheet.
  • Check Table 3-21 to have an idea of the registers that can be programmed in the iNVM
  • iNVM is has a limited number of writes, if the memory is full you won't be able to change additional parameters.
  • Be careful with the Initialization Control Word 1 (address 0x0A) if you program it wrong you will lock the iNVM

This topic might also be useful to you: /message/10193# 10193 i210: absolutely necessary words in iNVM

Once you have programmed the i210 controller you should install the Windosw 7 driver:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713&lang=eng&ProdId=3608 Intel® Download Center

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Aodlfo,

Thanks for the very detail info provide. Greatly appreciate. it is getting more clear to me now.

NIC=I211 adapter number. Typically, what is the adapter number should I put here?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hi HenryT

Could you please tell me in what file or document are you reading that?

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

I am reading the programming iNVM in I211_rev1.0.pdf file in the I210_I211_Production_image.zip file under Flash images/iNVM & I211

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Yes you should only replace the I211 with I210 in the examples mentioned in that document.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo

You mean that I set NIC=I210.

It has been a great help....

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hi HenryT

For your application that line should be NIC= so you have to put the adapter number of your I210

To obtain the adapter number of your I210 you should call EEUPDATE application without parameters. (Please read the document eeupdate.txt) that is in the DOC folder, of the programming tools file.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi AdolfoS

I am trying to program the iNVM now and got these errors.

I am using the command as specified in the DOS command.

Do you know why? Am I doing it correctly?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi AdolfoS

I tried to run EEUPDATE; different from EEUPDATEW32, which I ran before.

here is what I got when I run this command at the DOS prompt. It seems like I can't run under windows. Is this true? if so, how can I get around this?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

I apologize for the long delay, but we are experiencing some troubles in the forum and lost visibility of your thread.

Related to your inquiries:

1) EEUPDATE.EXE is designed to run on DOS, EEUPDATEW32.EXE is the proper program to run on Windows 32-bit or EEUPDATEW64.EXE for 64-bits.

2)Regarding the error code that you are getting please answer the following questions:

a) Did you run the file "install.bat" before running the EEUPDATEW32.EXE? If not please do it, and retry.

b) If you go to the Device Manager, and select your device driver does it shows a yellow or red bang next to it?

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

We got feedback from our engineers

The error that you are getting means that the software cannot enable or detect all the resources of the device and usually points to a hardware issue.

To get more information follow these steps:

1) Install and execute the LANConf tool appropiate to your Operative System (to install run the install.bat from CMD running as administrator)

2)Once running the LANConf go to the Adapter Diagnostic Test option and in this section select Begin Diagnostic Test let me know the results.

Hope this is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

All tests are fail.

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos