Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

Windows 8.1 on Baytrail Android Device?

SWilt1
Beginner

Hello Embedded Community,

I am currently looking into a way of modifying the ASUS Memo Pad range (Namely Memo Pad 8 ME181C at this time), in order to make them compatible with Windows once again.

With the Baytrail Atom chip, I see no reason why this would not be possible, however, reversing the modifications made by ASUS in order to make the tablets work with Android has left me at a slight dead end. I have queried AMI (Who's Aptio BIOS runs on the Windows equivalent of the Memo Pad, the Transformer Pad T100, and Vivo Tab 8) but unfortunately they were unable to assist me, as were ASUS Technical team, so I am trying my luck with the root of my project, Intel!

The aim of this project is to get affordable Windows based tablets for Schools, as I work primarily within Education, meaning budgets are slim. Unfortunately Android OS is neither secure enough, or compatible enough for a classroom environment, but Windows based tablets are far too expensive to allow individual students to utilize them.

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello Shawno0

We are investigating your issue.

Could you please give us more details about your project?

Why do you consider Android insecure and incompatible with your needs?

What are the minimum requirements that you need from a Tablet?

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
SWilt1
Beginner

Hello AdolfoS,

Well in a school environment we manage our devices mainly through Group Policy, and use redirection etc to minimize the amount of storage used on the device itself, it also opens up a lot more possibilities when it comes to remote management / control, which is important to us as our time on site is limited.

Not only this, but I am also working on a windows based learning environment which we hope to provide to our schools as part of our support contract, and would be brilliant if I could bundle this with these tablets.

Kind Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello Shawno0

Sorry for the delay in the answer.

Unfortunately is not possible for us to assist you with what you want to accomplish, since we don't have full access to all the documentation and details about the tablet's hardware and firmware. That information is property of ASUS.

For what you want to achieve you would require full access to the boot loader to boot from a different location, even if you were able to do that, you would require a modified version of Windows 8.1 with drivers designed specifically for the hardware of your tablet.

My suggestion in this case is to research for a Tablet that runs Windows natively. Here are some examples that might suit your needs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-Tablet-Z3735F-storage-Windows/dp/B00O636WPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418846494&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+tablet%3B+2GB Linx 10 inch Tablet (Intel Atom Quad Core Z3735F, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb storage, camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8, Black)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M80TA-DL001H-8-0-inch-Processor-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B00H51RLEA Asus M80TA-DL001H 8.0-inch VivoTab Note 8 Tablet (Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam, Built-in Speaker, Microphone, Touch Screen, Windows 8.1)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Venue-Pro-Tablet-Windows/dp/B00HUPKDZ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1418846992&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+venue DELL DELL VENUE 8 PRO Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet, 8" IPS, 1280 x 800, Atom Quad Core, 2GB, 64GB, Windows 8.1

I hope this information is useful to you:

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi, Shawno0,

It sounds like Adolfo has you pointed in the right direction. If you feel that you'd like to speak with an Intel sales person in your geography, please https://edc.intel.com/Get-Help/Start/ complete this form and it will be routed to the appropriate person. Hope this helps!

LynnZ

0 Kudos
SWilt1
Beginner

Thank you both for the assistance,

I understand this is going to be a very arduous task, I will continue to bash my head against the wall with this one for the time being, but will also look into the tablets you have linked me to AdolfoS.

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos