Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

Problem about Intel 82599 10 GbE Controller, help....

xzhen7
Beginner

Hi Everyone:

Purpose:

Regularly,we use optical module that kind of using two pairs of fiber, one for tx, and one for rx. But in some case, we need to use only one fiber,and the transmit in only one direction, that is from one optical`s tx to the other`s rx.

Here is my problem , when I remove one fiber, the network adapter turn to the status down,and i think it is because of the Negotiation failed。

So,I look up the 82599 DataSheet, and find this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.7.4.6 Forcing Link Up

Forcing link up can be accomplished by software by setting the AUTOC.FLU bit to 1b,

which forces the MAC to the appropriate MAC link speed as defined by the AUTOC.LMS

field and the appropriate protocol as defined by the AUTOC.10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL,

AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial and AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD bits. The Force-Link-Up mode

enables loopback operation (when HLREG0.LPBK is set to 1b) by setting the link_up

indication regardless of the XGXS/PCS_1G/KR_locked status. Link indication in register

LINKS should be ignored when in this mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That means,in my case,i should set the AUTOC.FLU(AutoNegotiation Force Link UP)register to bit 1, and set AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD in speed 1000M,

Or, set AUTOC.10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL, AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial in speed 10G.

Problem:

1)With the 1000M speed, i set the AUTOC.FLU=1, AUTOC.LMS=000(1 GbE link , no backplane auto-negotiation), and AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD = 0(SFI PMA/PMD); and it works ok(I use one for tx, and one for rx);

2)But with the 10G speed,i try set these registers,but it does not work.

I set these register by result of the AutoNegotiation, in my case , the 10G negotiation result is :

10G:

3231539204 - AUTOC , that means , the LMS = 011 (10 GbE serial link), the 10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL = 00(XAUI PMA/PMD)

655360 - AUTOC2, that means, the AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial = 10(SFI)

So, in my case, I set the AUTOC.FLU=1, AUTOC.LMS=011, the 10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL = 00, the AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial = 10, it works failed.

also, i set the AUTOC.FLU=1, AUTOC.LMS=011 (10GbE, without AutoNegotiation, but this is the parallel link0), the 10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL = 00, the AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial = 10, it works failed.

And other values combination of these register i tryed , and it works failed too, So, maybe someone can help me with this problem?

In Chinese:

-------------------------------------------------

大家好,请教一个问题:

通常我们使用光纤的时候,使用的光模块都是使用2根光纤的,一个用于收,一个用于发,为了同时实现收发,都是同时使用2根的。

但是在某些应用场景下,我们需要使用1根光纤来连接两个光模块,以实现传输的单向性,比如如下的这种场景:

摘自网络上:

"通常普通光模块(非单纤双向光模块哦)必须是插两根光纤才可以UP,可以正常通信,那为啥还有只是用一根光纤的场景呢?

两根光纤主要是一根只负责发送报文,一根只负责接收报文,有人会问如果只查一根光纤,那就代表本端设备就仅仅只能接收报文,或者仅仅是发送报文,这哪满足报文交互通信呢?但的确是有这样的场景,下面就列举一个和网络安全相关的场景哈

网络中存在分析服务器,负责将用户的流量进行分析、记录和处理。如果服务器不仅可以接收报文,还可以对外发送报文,将造成分析报文外传,降低了数据的安全性。交换机和分析服务器只通过一根光纤连接,达到服务器只接收报文,交换机只发送报文。当然还需要由命令single-fiber enable配置个单纤通信功能。这样接口就可以UP,可以通信啦。"

当我将其中一根光纤拔掉的时候,两端的网卡均会down掉,我怀疑这个是因为底层链路自动协商失败的原因,所以我就去查找了82599的芯片手册,并发现了如下的一段:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.7.4.6 Forcing Link Up

Forcing link up can be accomplished by software by setting the AUTOC.FLU bit to 1b,

which forces the MAC to the appropriate MAC link speed as defined by the AUTOC.LMS

field and the appropriate protocol as defined by the AUTOC.10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL,

AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial and AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD bits. The Force-Link-Up mode

enables loopback operation (when HLREG0.LPBK is set to 1b) by setting the link_up

indication regardless of the XGXS/PCS_1G/KR_locked status. Link indication in register

LINKS should be ignored when in this mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

根据这段说明,当把AUTOC寄存器的FLU位置1的时候,可以保证网卡的link status为UP的,并且这个时候网卡的连接速度由AUTOC.LMS、AUTOC.10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL、AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial and AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD 寄存器来

控制,很明显 AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD 用于配置 速度为1G的时候,并且我试验了一下可以成功,此时我设置了AUTOC.FLU=1, AUTOC.LMS=000(1 GbE link , no backplane auto-negotiation), and AUTOC.1G_PMA_PMD = 0(SFI PMA/PMD);

而当配置为10G速度时,就出现了问题:

由于不是很明显数据手册上BX4/SFI/Parallel link/Serial Link这些词的意思,我根据网卡自动协商为10G时的配置来指导我接下来要配置的寄存器,以下是我自动协商时两个寄存器的配置

3231539204 - AUTOC , that means , the LMS = 011 (10 GbE serial link), the 10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL = 00(XAUI PMA/PMD)

655360 - AUTOC2, that means, the AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial = 10(SFI)

所以我配置 AUTOC.FLU=1, AUTOC.LMS=011(10G的Serial link), the 10G_PMA_PMD_PARALLEL = 00, the AUTOC2.10G_PMA_PMD_Serial = 10(SFI, 自动协商也是这个结果),但是并没有成功(我一端发送,一端接收);

我又进行了其他的组合,发现也没有生效,实在没有头绪了,请社区里面各位大神帮忙指点一下,不胜感激!

Thanks a lot !!!

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Xiang Zheng,

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

We're working on getting an answer to your question. Have a great day and we'll be talking with you soon!

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

Hi Leon,thank you for response,i`m looking forward your answer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Xiang Zheng,

I'd like to ask whether if this is a adapter or chip that you have used?

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

Hi Leon:

It is an adapter , below is what I use

NetworkCard: Intel E10G42BFSR (PCI-E)

OpticalModule : Intel FTLX8571D3BCV-IT (10G SFP)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Xiang Zheng,

Can you also tell us what operating system is used for this adapter?

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

Hi Leon:

My OS is linux -3.10, In fact,I am using DPDK to drive the NetworkAdapter,and to solve the problem,I am trying to modify the code of DPDK

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Xiang Zheng,

The behavior you are having is expected. A link is composed by two communication lines, a TX and a RX,

Removing one of these lines will make the link down.

I hope this information is useful,

Best regards,

Gabriel Thomas.

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

Hello Gabriel Thomas:

I know in normal case,the link will down,but in fact What I really need to do,is Single-Fiber connect,one for tx ,and one for rx。

My english not so well, maybe below link can help you understand me

http://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/mailman/message/24239563/ Intel Ethernet Drivers and Utilities / Mailing Lists

If you had some idea, please reply me,Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Xiang Zheng,

您当前的账号为普通账号,所以我想帮您申请特权账号.(需要您的公司电子邮件地址)

下面是具体步骤:

1) 打开网址 http://edc.intel.com/ Intel® Embedded Design Center并使用您的普通账号登录.(登录链接在网页的右上方).

2) 然后打开网址https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/embedded-design-center-contact-us.html Intel® Embedded Design Center Contact and Support,您会看到MANAGE YOUR INTEL EDC ACCOUNT(管理您的英特尔EDC账号).

3) 点击MANAGE MY INTEL PROFILE(管理我的英特尔个人档案).

4) 您将看到一个UPGRADE to PRIVILEGED(升级到特权账号)的选项.填写完成并提交表格.

5) 如果您完成以上步骤,请您联系我.我将尽快协助您检查您的申请.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

Hi Leon:

您好,请问申请特权账号,是为了什么呢?多谢回复

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Xiang Zheng,

您的这个案例涉及功能需求, 因为这与设备的标准功能冲突. 我们需要代表您向专家提交请求来让他们研究这个问题.一旦他们对这个问题有回复,我将转发给您.我们的专家的结论或回复是保密的,所以要求所有的参与者遵守保密协议(non-disclosure agreement). 如果贵司已经有IPS账号, 我们建议贵司把这个问题提交到IPS系统中.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Xiang Zheng, you will need to request an upgrade to Privileged account first. mailto:edc.support@intel.com edc.support@intel.com can assist you in this process. However, you will need to update your existing account with a company email address as we do not allow personal email addresses to have Privileged access. Privileged access requires a CNDA between your company and Intel. CNDA's are not granted to individuals. If you are with a company that does not have a CNDA already and you can edit your account to a company email address, please contact EDC Support for assistance. Otherwise, unfortunately we will not be able to share Intel Confidential content. Sorry. LynnZ.

0 Kudos
YXu22
Beginner

您好,我在重复您做的实验。但是在1G条件下无法关闭自动协商。

我是通过在源码WRTIE REG 以及 READ REG里修改value的返回值实现的·。

但无法重复您说的单向链接情况,请问可以告诉我您的具体实现步骤么?

方便的话请留下联系方式进一步交流。

· 祝好

0 Kudos
Xiaole_S_Intel
Employee

Hi WingXY,

请问你现在是否使用LANCONF工具在配置寄存器?寄存器详细地址在datasheet中的第667页上有描述。

Best Regards,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

LANCONF好像的确是个好东西,不过貌似只有win版本的,我们服务器应该都是装的LINUX吧,不知道linux下有没有类似的工具,这样就不用去修改驱动代码重新驱动了,

不知道ethtool是不是有这个功能的。

0 Kudos
Xiaole_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Zhengxiang,

LANCOF是有Linux版本的,也在quartzville tools kit里。你可以通过下面这个网址进行下载,请注意下载时需要使用你的edc 网站账号。

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/quartzville-tools-284632.html?wapkw=quartzville http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/quartzville-tools-284632.html?wapkw=quartzv

Best Regards,

Xiaole

0 Kudos
Wesley
Beginner

您好,

請問下載了之後,到ubuntu 之後需要怎要安裝才能打開LANCONFˊˊˋ64e

謝謝

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Wesley:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The English language is the only used to provided support through this channel.

However, please review the Installing the tool on Linux section requirements stated in the Lanconf.txt file included in the DOCS file of the Intel® Network Connections Tools 25.2 PV LAN Software Tools document # 348742. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/348742.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or report any inconveniences with the provided site. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best Regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
xzhen7
Beginner

如果是82599的1G单纤模式的话,很好配置的,就按我说的那样配置就可以了。

你可以用DPDK来试试,改一下其中的几个寄存器就可以了,很简单。

但是10G的我没有模拟出来,但实际来说肯定是可以的,我用其它厂商的设备单纤连接我们的网卡,默认可以到10G模式

所以肯定是我这网卡设置里面出现了问题,前段时间忙其它的,这个问题暂且阁下了,后面会继续跟踪的

我的邮箱:mailto:forsakening@sina.cn forsakening@sina.cn

如果兄台有什么想法的话,可以一同交流一下

0 Kudos