Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

I210IS compatibility with W25Q16DVSSIG flash

RNord1
Beginner

We have designed a prototype board with one I210IS (fiber) chips and one WGI210IT (copper) chip. We selected the Winbond W25Q16DVSSIG flash chip and this worked great with the I210IT, but not with the I210IS. The flash appears as a "Generic JEDEC Flash" instead of as "Winbond W25Q Family" and is given the string name "Unsupported Flash" in the LANConf tool. We looked at this on our other prototype board with the same result, unsupported on the I210IS chip and operational on the two I210IT chips. Our schematics are identical between the I210IS and I210IT (exception of course at the fiber/copper nodes).

According to the Intel® Ethernet Controller I210Datasheet on page 796, this should be a supported flash:

Winbond* Compatible:1

W25X40BVSNIG

W25X80BVSNIG

W25Q40BVSNIG

W25Q80BVSNIG

W25Q16

W25Q32

Winbond Validated:2

W25Q80BVSSIG.

W25Q16DVSSIG.

W25X16A.

We are about to try a different chip (Microchip ST25VF032B-80-4I-S2AF-T) but would like to get feedback how the I210IT differs from the I210IS in regards to flash. Attached are images showing what we see in the LANConf tool when looking at both. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ryan-VRINC,

Welcome to the Intel Embedded Community.

We're working on your case, and as soon as we have additional information we'll write back.

Best regards,

Jimmy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ryan-VRINC,

After having forwarded this inquiry to our engineers, they have replied that the operation should be identical.

Are these chips pre programmed or blank? has the schematic gone through the Intel review process?

Can you confirm that the SPI lines are correct?

Best regards,

Jimmy.

0 Kudos
RNord1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. The flash chips were all blank initially. After additional troubleshooting today, I've determined the issue is not with the flash. I swapped both the 210IS and I210IT flash chips with the Micron M25PE80VMW6TG and it only worked the I210IT. It seems we have an issue elsewhere.

How would we go about submitting our schematic through the Intel review process?

Ryan

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ryan.

Intel does offer a Schematic Review Service as well as a Layout Review Service, too. These services are available to those who have a CNDA established with Intel. Therefore, you will need to apply for a Privileged account. To do this go to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html and click on "Manage Your Intel Profile" found in the "Manage Your Account" section of the page. From there you can request an upgrade. After you submit the application, please let me know and I will expedite the review of your application. If you need assistance, email mailto:edc.support@intel.com edc.support@intel.com as that is the team that processes the applications. If you know that your company already has a CNDA with Intel, please let EDC Support know that, too. If not, one will need to be established in order to approve the application. Here is more information on our https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx?language=en Design Review Services. Hope this helps! Lynn

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Ryan,

Could you please let us know if you have any update related to this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos