Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

E3800 ECC with x16 memories

TRile1
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any way to get the E3800 to work with x16 DDR3 memories in memory-down ECC configuration? This is not a configuration that is validated by Intel but I can't see any reason it should not work.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Tim,

Thanks for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Intel's suggestion in these cases for undocumented implementations is that these should be tested and validated from the customer side. The conditions and guidelines tested and confirmed by Intel are stated in the documentation.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TRile1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Yes, I understand that this is Intel's position, but my question is really around how we can actually get this configuration to work. Is this something in the MRC that is fixed and hence will never work, or is there a way that the FSP can be made to recognise this configuration? So far we have tried and failed to make this work but cannot see why this should be the case.

Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
JDood
Novice

Hi Tim,

It is likely that the MRC code will need to be modified to take account of the unsupported configuration. I'm not sure whether you have access to BIOS source code but, if not, Ircona could either provide it to you or assist you in finding a working solution.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
TRile1
Beginner

Hi John,

Thanks for your response. Sounds like it may be worth a quick discussion to see what the options are. Is modifying MRC something you have done before?

Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
JDood
Novice

Hi Tim,

Yes, we have implemented modifications to all areas of the BIOS including the MRC code. Perrhaps we can continue this discussion outside the forum. Please drop me an email at mailto:john.doody@ircona.com john.doody@ircona.com

Thanks

John