Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

How to get EMGD to stop switching modes when a display is plugged in.

TEnge
Beginner

I have an embedded system running WES8 using a Intel N2930 processor (similar to a E3845) that uses the Intel HD graphics driver.

The unit has a internal LVDS display and HDMI connector and unit can be uses with just the LVDS display or LVDS plus HDMI.

I have used SetDisplayConfig to set the resolution and rotation of my unit but it does changes if I plug in another monitor.

For example: with a LVDS display, Monitor A and Monitor B.

I have the LVDS and Monitor A connected and set the rotation for 90 degrees using SetDisplayConfig.

I also unplug Monitor A and set the LVDS only for rotation of 90 degrees.

If I plug in Monitor B then the rotation changes back to 0 degrees as long as Monitor B is plugged in.

So how do I configure the unit so it does not switch display modes every time a different monitor is plugged in?? ( I have no idea what monitor the end user will be plugging in)

Is there some way using SetDisplayConfig to handle this?? (all I found in SetDisplayConfig was for connected monitors not something for every monitor)

Or is there some way to turn auto detect off?

In the past we used XP and IEGD and you could turn auto detect off but I have not found that feature in EMGD.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello tom.abcd,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community,

In order to better understand this situation, could you please try to reproduce this situation using Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 8 (non-connected standby) with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19493/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150-Driver-for-Windows-7-64-bit Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for 64 bit or https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19494/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150-for-Windows-7-32-bit Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for 32-bit, and let us know the results?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

I think we have a misunderstanding about my processor. I have a Celeron® N2930 Processor processor

http://ark.intel.com/products/81073 Intel® Celeron® Processor N2930 (2M Cache, up to 2.16 GHz) Specifications

and looking on your website I think I should be using this driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25313/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-3rd-Gen-BYT- Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*, 10 (3rd Gen & BYT)

The driver you link to seems to be an old Win7 driver ( I am running Win8 embedded) and it does not list my chip.

Looking at the readme and release notes for the old driver you linked to it says:

"

* October 29, 2010

* NOTE: This document refers to systems containing the

* following Intel chipsets:

* Intel(R) Atom(TM) D400 and Intel(R) Atom(TM) D500 Series

* Intel(R) Atom(TM) N400 Series

So it seems to be very old and not for my chip or my OS.

"

So do you agree I am using the correct driver?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello tom.abcd,

Thanks for your clarification,

Could you please try to reproduce this issue using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22533/Intel-Graphics-Drivers-for-Intel-Core-Pentium-and-Celeron-Processors Intel® Graphics Drivers for Intel® Core™, Pentium® and Celeron® Processors and let us know the results?

Thanks again for your collaboration.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

I am confused why do you want me to load this older driver that is from 2013?

The driver that I gave the link for lists my processor (Celeron N2930) and it is newer (updated 9/21/2015) .

I have the driver from my link loaded on a unit and ran Intel Driver Update Utility and it did not list anything newer. So from that it would seem I have the latest driver.

I have found a simpler example for my problem using a HDMI monitor and no LVDS.

1. I connected up monitor A and set it to rotate 90. Proved the setting was saved by rebooting the unit and it stayed rotated.

2. With the unit running I disconnected Monitor A and connected up monitor B ( different brand of monitor but supports the same 1080p resolution) and the unit switched to no rotation (0).

Looking on the web this seems to be how windows now works so this is not a driver bug but a "feature" . .....

In some forum posts it seemed some video cards supported a registry setting to turn off the autodetect and some did not.

So my question for Intel is since this is an embedded type processor does Intel do anything to support turning off the autodetect so when I set a rotation or resolution that it will stick for every monitor that is attached (like I did in the past with the IEGD driver) ??

Or is there some windows api I need to use to make things stick?

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello tom.abcd,

Thanks for your update.

It is important to clarify you that the EMGD driver is compatible with Windows 7.

We will contact you via email to give you the information that may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos