Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1204 Discussions

Problem while booting the coreboot.rom file

DKuma261
Beginner

HI all,

I flashed coreboot.rom file (8mb) into 8 MB flash chip using dediprog-SF-100, The corebot.rom got generated while building the coreboot for BayleyBay board using intel FSP binaries. But while trying to boot its actually not booting. Please share me some information regarding coreboot build for BayleyBay Board using Intel FSP binary..And some solution for "what are the issues, so that coreboot.rom will not boot?"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello DiNesH,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

Please review the information stated at the Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
BTest
Novice

Hi DiNesH,

You can't just build a Coreboot image,burn it into flash and expect it to boot. You need descriptor tables and usually the TXE image too. You use Intel's FITC tool to do this.

I would make the Coreboot image 1MB. Once you have a complete image available you can just update the last 1MB with any new Coreboot images.

Brett

0 Kudos
DKuma261
Beginner

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your reply. I am new to these coreboot field, so I am unable to get what exactly the descriptor table and TXE image are... I would like to know where these table and image will be located in my source file,or how can find it?. I tried to enable(chipset---> add intel descriptor bin file) using "make menuconfig" and the path is 3rdparty/blob/mainboard/intel/emeraldlake2/descriptor.bin. While i trying to build, the build is not successful.I need to know whether the table which i given is right or not..?

I am trying to run coreboot + seabios payload on the bayley bay crb with the recently committed FSP integration,This crb uses the bay trail I (now atom e3800) soc from intel.The FSP I used is BAYTRAIL_FSP_GOLD4_24-may-2015.

As i new to coreboot,the flashing the coreboot.rom along with TXE and Descriptor tables making me so tedious one, so kindly help me to get through this,

Regards,

Dinesh Kumar G
0 Kudos
BTest
Novice

Hi Dinesh,

Don't be intimidated by this, it really isn't that bad once you figure things out!

You don't actually create the disciptors yourself - the Flash Image Tool (fitc) will do that for you. You just tell it the flash size, define the soft straps and point it to the binary images of the TXE and Coreboot and it assembles it into a complete image.

First thing though: do you have privileged access? If you don't the moderators here can assist you in the steps needed to obtain it. You basically cannot get access to the necessary tools without it.

If for some reason you cannot get access then you could possibly do a bit of a hack: get a Minnowboard Max (or some other E3800 SBC) boot image and just update the last 1 or 2 meg of it with your coreboot image. The biggest problem there is the soft straps may not be right for your hardware. They enable/disable the SoC devices and define the PCIe implementation (4 x1, 1 x2 & 2 x1, 1 x4, etc).

Brett

0 Kudos
DKuma261
Beginner

Hi Brett.

Thank you for your reply. I have access privilege but I need to know the document number for FITC tool or assist me with steps to obtain the tool.

Regards,

Dinesh Kumar G.

0 Kudos
BTest
Novice

Hi Dinesh,

Good! That should make things a little simpler.

I have 2 downloads, 543570_BYT_I_SEC_FEAT_PV_RELEASE and 543572_BYT_I_SEC_SlimFW_PV_RELEASE. I can find the latter referenced on this page:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/bay-trail/software-and-drivers.html Intel® Atom™ processor E3800 Product Family: Software and Drivers

but am locked out trying to download it. If I log in to my account I can't find either when doing a search. You may have to contact your Intel rep to get them. I am using the 'Slim" version.

Brett

0 Kudos