cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install W7 on 40gb x25v

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just got my new SSD and wanted to use it as my main OS drive. I only have an upgrade copy of W7 so I had to install my copy of XP first. I was able to install XP normally. When I attempted to install the W7 upgrade all seemed fine until the last step of the install. The install seemed to hang, I waitied 20 minutes and finally did a hard power down on the PC.

Now it seems my PC won't recognize the drive properly. It shows up in disk manager correctly but I am unable to format it or write any data to it.

I am hoping I can just start my install of XP/W7 over again.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You would`ve better success if you could format the SSD under Vista/win7 in any other computer. After that put it back in your computer and when you install your XP, DON`T format the SSD, just install it and carry on. Vista and Win7 can properly align the SSD, XP doesn`t support SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well after a long weekend of playing around with this I have discovered that I am able to install XP pro (32bit), Vista Ultimate (32-bit) but Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) will not install.

I am just going to return this drive and get a small raptor or something. The whole idea was to make life easy for me if I ever needed to re-install my OS.

These drives are obviously not ready for prime time.

Maybe next year...?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't be too quick to blame the drive. If it were me, veryfity the drive with a full diagnostic scan in the intel toolbox, HDDerase it, install vista, install win7 upgrade.