Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Does GMA 3150 support screen rotation (windows desktop) ?

idata
Employee

Hi ,

I am using Acer 531h/2Dr with Atom N450 and GMA 3150, OS Win 7 Starter, GMA 3159 Driver 8.14.10.1972.

I am not able to rotate screen 90 / 180 / 270 degrees. The option does not appear in Intel GMA Driver for mobile setup.

Is it a HW feature or does it depend on sw and setup? What should I do to enable it?

It is a surprise because older netbooks built around N270 / N280 allowed it.

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Yes, the 3150 supports screen rotation in Windows 7 Starter on the N450. I have a Lenovo S10-3. To change the rotation on my netbook, I

1) Right click on the desktop, select "Graphics Properties"

2) Select the "Display Settings" tab

3) Make sure the "Enable Rotation" checkbox is checked, and select one of the degrees

4) Click OK or Apply

If you cannot follow these same steps, then you should first look for a 3150 driver update, then look for a BIOS update for the motherboard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Yes, the 3150 supports screen rotation in Windows 7 Starter on the N450. I have a Lenovo S10-3. To change the rotation on my netbook, I

1) Right click on the desktop, select "Graphics Properties"

2) Select the "Display Settings" tab

3) Make sure the "Enable Rotation" checkbox is checked, and select one of the degrees

4) Click OK or Apply

If you cannot follow these same steps, then you should first look for a 3150 driver update, then look for a BIOS update for the motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

thanks for this information. This is exactly what I have done before, and it does not work on my Acer machine.

Now I know that I have to look what else could go wrong with setup... and will post a hint when I find it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This evidently is an ACER issue. I have the Aspire One D255 with the 3150 processor and I have not been able to find a solution to this. Third party Irotate and eeerotate don't work either.

I suspect Acer plans on releasing a tablet PC soon and does not want this nice netbook feature to cripple sales of the new device.

There is no reason to lock this function out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I to am having the same issue with a D2553 and 3150 and have tried almost everything. Acer i s no help, although they tried to habd ne off to some hackers who wanted to charge me for looking at my problem. No more ACER products for me.

0 Kudos
WChen88
Beginner

My Acer AO532h (GMA 3150) doesn't have the rotation option either, the drive is the latest 8.14.10.1929

idata
Employee

I have same issue on an Acer Aspire One D544-13DKK with Windows 7 - no rotation / orientation no matter what I do.

Acer Support is no use as all - first they claimed that rotation was not supported by Windows 7 Starter (which is untrue) and told me to upgrade. Then they refused to offer support since I had changed "their" OS aso. When I downgraded to Starter again they had a third story. Pure run-around or a very clueless support.

Well, I have tried irotate as well - no luck, expect that the one bundled with eeerotate did not exit with an execption. Several registry tweaks only allowed me to change resolution to almost any value - but still no rotation. As I am not hardcore enough to tweak the PCI registers to attempt to re-enable rotation that way, I am currently considering downgrading to Windows XP...

Anyhow - I can only recommend NOT to buy anything from Acer - no, buy anything but Acer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same here no rotation available - very stupid looks like Costco will be getting this Aspire One back as have just bought a rotateable Dell monitor and this is a p[ain in the butt!

Steve

0 Kudos